Headquarters: New York
View all Wirecutter jobs →
Are you interested in improving Wirecutter's publishing platform and building front-end architecture? Do you prefer to work remotely?
Wirecutter is seeking an engineer with 3+ years experience to join our .com team, the team responsible for the core reader experience on thewirecutter.com. This is a position on a team of 5+ engineers, reporting to an engineering manager and working closely with product managers and designers.
In this role, you will:
- Build scalable, high-quality, and creative product features.
- Contribute to a new, modern infrastructure that includes React, GraphQL, and Node.js.
- Write code that is simple, reliable, maintainable, performant, functional, and compatible across devices and browsers.
- Design applications with extensibility in mind, while considering efficiency, and the burden of developer onboarding.
- Debug issues reported in our production environment.
- Provide level of effort estimates and specifications for upcoming project tasks.
- Understand requirements, discuss trade-offs, and collaborate on the right approach to solving a problem.
- Succinctly communicate complex problems and proposed solutions, in writing, and in conversation.
- Perform code reviews with meaningful feedback.
- Implement automated testing and do manual quality assurance.
You think critically, communicate clearly, provide feedback to your co-workers, collaborate, tackle problems, write quality code, ship features that achieve business goals, and are biased towards action.
- Experience developing for WordPress or other content management system
- Experience with PHP
- Strong communication skills
- Understanding of object oriented software principles, design patterns, and the Document Object Model API
- Experience with git and basic shell scripting
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- An ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Comfortable working without micro-management of day to day tasks
About Wirecutter Engineering:
We focus on scale, reliability, performance and product agility, which means picking the right tool for the job, while also being pragmatic and flexible.
The tech stack for the .com team currently consists of:
- WordPress - content and user management
- PHP - server-side business logic and custom REST API endpoints
- React - client-side routing and view rendering in the WordPress admin
- Webpack - client-side module builder
- Sass/CSS - markup styles
- Elasticsearch - indexes content for search queries
Though details are still being decided, you will have the chance to work with technologies like:
- GraphQL for dynamic queries connecting multiple applications.
- React for templating.
- Node.js for server-side routing and rendering.
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Even with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture, and hires across the United States. Right now, we are eligible to hire in the following locations:
CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HA, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA.