Otus offers a seamless K-12 learning platform for administrators, teachers, students, and families. We do this by implementing amazing ideas from awesome people and we need more awesomeness on our team. Are you passionate, collaborative, love to geek out on technology, and want to work for a mission-driven company that is shaping the way teachers, students and parents of students learn together? If so, we want to hear from you.
Our diverse team consists of talented designers, developers, coaches, and leaders who share a variety of interests. You'll find musicians, world travelers, beer enthusiasts, nerds, sports fans, and all-around great people who shape our positive culture.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated Backend Application Engineer to help bring the best possible software solutions to educators.
As an early member of a growing team, you must possess a strong work ethic and be upbeat, driven, intelligent, well-organized, articulate, share a passion for learning new technologies, and thrive in a fun, fast-paced environment.
You will have the opportunity to immediately contribute and see the results of your work in use by students, teachers, parents and district administrators across the country.
- Collaborate with engineers, UI/UX designers, and product owners to build & ship new features and maintain/enhance existing ones
- Lead technical projects and initiatives, mentoring and guiding technical direction
- Hands-on development, contributing in shipping working software and supporting it in production
- Become an expert in the road maps and implementation for your product features
- Collaborate with colleagues across various squads in the organization to split monolithic application into separate applications that can be shipped independently, primarily based on Node.js
- 7+ years of development experience
- You have at least 2 projects that have seen regular high amounts of traffic (~2000 concurrent users)
- You have at least 1 project consisting of multiple Node.js microservices, Typescript is a plus
- You have at least 1 project deployed in Kubernetes (AWS EKS)
- You have worked full-time remote, on a distributed/remote team
- You deliver your code to production and address production issues
Nice to Haves
- Experience with backend frameworks such as Nest, Koa or Sails
- Experience working with and migrating legacy code bases
- Experience with containerized environments (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with building & integrating CI/CD pipelines
- Experience building backends on other platforms (JVM, etc)
- Experience with Angular2+
- Experience with edtech products and services
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary, professional development spending, and home office setup budget
- 20 PTO days a year, plus a day off for your birthday (or a loved one’s), an interest day (to do something you love), and paid holidays
- Up to 12 weeks of parental leave and great work/life balance
- Otus is a “remote first” company. Our team works remotely from the comfort of their homes (HQ in Chicago)
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life Insurance and disability benefits
- 401K with an employer match (up to 4%)
Otus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind. You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.