Nelnet Community Engagement (NCE) is seeking a Software QA Engineer to join our engineering team.
At NCE, we believe in the power of community-minded organizations. We help those organizations grow their impact by making it easy to engage anytime, anywhere. Our mobile-led strategy includes customized mobile apps, communication, online giving, and online learning. We help schools (under our FACTS brand), churches (under our aware3 & CFT brands), & nonprofits engage and grow their communities through text, web, & branded apps.
This position is full-time and is inherently fully remote (but if you’re near one of our hubs in Kansas City, Denver, Fort Worth, Lincoln, or Providence and would like to come into an office some days, that's cool too).
- We value collaboration. That's often shown through pair programming, mentoring juniors & interns, engaging in healthy PR dialogue, defined OpenAPI specs, ongoing learning presentations, as well as just being a supportive & vulnerable human being.
- We value iteration. MVPs. Small tickets. Small PRs. v2's. All documents are living documents.
- We value automated testing. Our CI/CD pipeline is testing around the clock and deploying regularly. Many of us do TDD as well.
- We value a balanced mix of work. We routinely pay down tech debt. We write internal documentation. We improve tooling. We help educate our teammates.
- You can read more about our values over on the company About Us page (https://aware3.com/careers).
- Recent culture survey response quotes: "I love that I can bring my authentic self to work. Thank you for creating that space.", "Thanks for actively checking in to make sure we are healthy (mentally and physically) during covid and pushing for policies that are inclusive.", "NCE definitely gives a shit"
- Consistently implement tests with concise and efficient code.
- Ability to work collaboratively and iteratively (https://a3a.me/cWbXT).
- Extensive experience in automated testing of web applications
- Self-starter with the ability to work remotely in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Great communicator who is able to articulate questions clearly and concisely
- Familiarity with bash, Docker, AWS ECS, and CodePipeline
- Experience with Kanban or Scrum
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence or Zephyr
- Familiarity with basic SQL
- Helping build Impact Engineering into a Quality center of excellence
- Designing, implementing, documenting, and maintaining Codeception-based automation tests
- Ensuring automation tests meet required standards and criteria through peer review
- Recommending improvements and assisting in changes to best-practice techniques
- Creating effective multi-layered testing strategies based on functional and technical needs
- Collaborating cross-functionally on processes, tools, and testing strategies, and to resolve technical and quality issues
Our Current QA Tools & Technologies
- Codeception + PHPunit + Chromedriver
- Github Actions
- Browserstack AppLive
- Karma, Mocha, & Chai
- a Mocha-based visual regression tool
- Postman & Proxyman
Comp & Benefits
- Annual salary range is $85-$100k for Engineer, $100k - $135k for Senior Engineer.
- 4.2 weeks ETO + 7 holidays + 4 floating holidays
- Free health insurance (associate-only, bronze plan, meets requirements). Very affordable rates if you add on from there.
- 401k w/ 4% match
- Paid parental leave
- Company laptop provided + remote office setup stipend
- Tuition assistance, up to $5,250 / year
- Matching charitable gifts. 1:1 for most, 3:1 for educational 501(c)3's
Our hiring process
- Code sample request
- Chat with hiring manager (60 minutes)
- Skills interview with a panel (60 minutes)
- Come help our clients engage and grow their communities
We believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will lead to a better company and better products. We seek to continue our diversity journey and we actively encourage everyone (yes, you!) to consider becoming a part of the team. Our 35 person engineering team is presently: 37% women, 26% POC, 9% LGBT+, 6% veteran, and 34% neurodiverse. 80% of our team falls into at least one of these categories. We want to be a place everyone can belong and thrive.
Our growing, dedicated team works remotely. This full time position is available for all candidates, including remote. If you live in cities where we have a hub (Kansas City, Denver, Fort Worth, Lincoln, or Providence), and you like occasionally visiting an office, we'll save a desk for you. All candidates need to be eligible to work in the US (Citizen, green card, or other EAD). We have a casual work environment with a collaborative and supportive team dynamic.
No recruiters, staffing firms, or contractors, please.
PS: We've had some deliverability issues with Gmail users lately. If you're using Gmail, please allow all @aware3.com email addresses like this: https://a3a.me/pv9vV
to make sure you get all our correspondence.