Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
View all DataQuest jobs →
At Dataquest, we teach data science to a community of hundreds of thousands of students worldwide. We help students deeply learn concepts, build projects, work together, and gain the confidence they need to start new careers. Read more about our philosophy here, and read what students think here.
We’re looking for an experienced data scientist who’s passionate about online education. You'll help us create the future of data science education online by making data a central part of of our product, marketing, and content decision making.
As our first product-oriented data scientist, you'll have the opportunity to audit and clean up our data infrastructure, with the goal of enabling anyone in the company, even non-technical folks, to analyze and understand student data. You'll also help us create dashboards that indicate how we're progressing towards company and team goals. Finally, you'll help us analyze student data to determine what features and content to create next.
We currently copy our data into Redshift via Segment and Stitch, and analyze the data with SQL and Python using Mode. This enables us to aggregate most of our product data in a single place, and enables us to do useful joins across datasources. It also gives everyone on the team the same access to data and analysis tools.
There's significant autonomy and ownership in this role. This is the chance to make a big impact on a small team in a fast-growing bootstrapped company. You'll have a major role in educating hundreds of thousands of students worldwide.
- Audit and document our data infrastructure
- Ensure that we're capturing all of the data that we need to capture
- Advocate for tools that make it simpler for non-technical team members to analyze data
- Create dashboards that enable us to track progress towards team and organizational goals
- Analyze product data to help us make more effective product decisions
- Analyze marketing data to identify new marketing opportunities and optimize our marketing spending
- Work closely with the rest of the team to help Dataquest become more data-driven in decision making
- A strong understanding of product data (events, production database data, ad spend, etc), where it comes from, and how it can best be utilized
- 3+ years of experience analyzing product and/or marketing data
- A strong interest in mentoring and helping other team members use data more effectively
- 3+ years of experience with Python and SQL
- Experience auditing event and data infrastructure
- Experience with ETL (especially the T part!)
- The ability to work with messy data and figure out the best source of truth
- A strong desire to document queries and tables
There's a lot of autonomy in our roles, and our goal is to give everyone on our team the correct context and resources to make the right decisions for our students.
Working at Dataquest gives you the chance to work with a mission-focused, motivated team on an important problem.
At Dataquest, you'll get:
- The opportunity to see your impact on the lives of our students every day
- The chance to work with an engaged and mission-driven team
- The chance to define internal processes and help a company scale
- The chance to contribute to product direction and decisions
- The ability to work remotely
- A supportive and collaborative environment
The salary range for this role is $75k USD - $95k USD per year, and it's a full-time remote role.