Does the idea of scaling a blog
in the WordPress space from 200k visitors a month to 300k visitors a month and beyond excite you? Then we want to talk to you!
We publish 2-3 high quality articles per month currently but want to scale this while maintaining high quality standards.
The editorial team will consist of you, a technical editor, and a handful of freelance writers. You will also have access to an SEO specialist and a designer.
Who we are looking for
NB: We are not looking for a writer only (though you should have strong writing skills). We are looking for a content manager and expect your experience/skills to reflect that.
You started as a writer but transitioned into an editorial position (or do both), so you understand what it takes to make a blog article excellent from both sides.
You have at least 2 years of editorial and writing experience, preferably in SaaS, ecommerce or a related space, and have familiarity with and interest in WordPress and related topics.
Ideally, you’ve built and/or managed a WordPress site before and understand the challenge of identifying the best tools and plugins.
You are an excellent writer but also have a sharp editor’s eye (you can spot a typo from a mile away!).
Though you have a way with words, and have a knack for making any article more appealing, engaging and informative, you also geek out on data and use it to better inform your editorial strategy.
What you'll do
- Analyse the results of our content (what is doing well, what isn't and why)
- Identify content gaps our competitors are doing well
- Flag content pieces that should be revamped or rewritten to keep them high in the rankings
- Guide strategy to ensure blog delivers results (measured in both affiliate and product revenue - we are both an affiliate and a product business)
- Guard the quality of our blog
- Edit and improve new and existing content
- Plan new topics for the blog
- Create content outlines for writers
- Give writers feedback to help them improve their craft
- Grow the aThemes email list by capturing emails via forms on the blog
- Promote our content
- Write a monthly newsletter for our subscribers
- Manage the editorial calendar and a small team of freelance writers
- Recruit and onboard new writers
- 2+ years of experience in a content manager or similar role (e.g. editor)
- The ability to improve any article
- You are good at project management, i.e. you can maintain communication with multiple writers and manage an editorial calendar based on what their estimates are.
- Strong foundational understanding of SEO and experience with SEO/keyword research tools (Ahrefs, SEMrush, Clearscope, MarketMuse etc)
- Excellent communication skills: as a remote company, frequent and clear communication is essential.
- Highly organised: you care about deadlines, keeping tasks up to date (we manage our editorial calendar in Airtable), and keep on top of your workload
- Self-starter: you must be highly self-motivated, comfortable taking the initiative and seeing projects though to completion
- You like to combine hands-on editing with thinking about the bigger business picture
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of the WordPress product landscape
- Some knowledge of CRO and marketing methodology
'The ‘a’ in aThemes stands for Awesome. That’s right—we don’t beat around the bush.
We create well-designed and easy to use WordPress themes, backed by speedy support and frequent updates. We have 100k+ users from around the world. Our blog reaches hundreds of thousands a month with our reviews, roundups, and guides.
Those numbers are growing. Needless to say, we could do with some help. That’s where you come in!
How we work
We are a small, tight-knit team of 9, distributed globally. We don't mind where you work: from home, a co-working space, a coffee shop — wherever you feel the most inspired.
With a flat structure, you’ll work closely with the CEO and team to explore new ideas and run tests to identify the best ones to pursue.
If you see a better way to do something, we’re open to feedback. We don't believe things are set in stone. We want to find the best ideas and go big. We create the space and give you the autonomy to do that.
What you'll get if you join us
True flexibility. While we do ask for a few hours of overlap each day, outside of that, you are free to work whenever and wherever suits you best.
Massive autonomy. No one likes to be micro-managed, and we don't like to micro-manage anyone (If you need that kind of hand holding and direction, we're not going to be your cup of tea!) We hire people who are excited to own their work and we look to you to tell us the big levers in your role that'll make the most impact.
Huge growth and learning opportunity. Excited to work on big picture strategy and drive it through to completion? You'll have direct access to the CEO, and will encourage you to test and validate ideas and ensure you have all the help and resources you need to excel in your role!
We've been in business since 2013, and profitable since day 1. We are carving our own path in the WordPress world - no investor money, nor financial obligations to anyone but ourselves. If you're pumped to join a team where your work actually matters and you can see the results of your hard earned successes, we can't wait to hear from you!
- This is a full-time, 100% remote role and we are happy for you to work a 4-day week if you like (so the total hours per week will be 32). You can work from anywhere in the world so long as a few hours of your working day overlap with the European workday (i.e. GMT/CET). This is so you can interact with the rest of the team who are mostly located in Europe.
- We will hire you as a contractor and pay you a competitive monthly salary, benchmarked against industry averages. We expect this to be ~$4-5k a month (negotiable).
- Plenty of scope for personal development, and to grow and add more responsibilities as the business expands.