Remote Technical Project Manager
View company profile & all jobs →
Full-TimeManagement and FinanceCanada Only
Time zones: EST (UTC -5), CST (UTC -6), MST (UTC -7), PST (UTC -8), AST (UTC -4), NST (UTC -3:30)
Silverorange is a design and development agency based in Canada. When pursuing work, we focus on interesting and meaningful projects. Over our 22 years as a company, we’ve worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations working in areas including arts funding and affordable internet access for low-income families, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education.
We’re proud of the fantastic products we’ve built in partnership with our clients and we’re actively invested in the processes behind these products. Within the next 6 months, we expect our team to grow from 29 to 35 people in order to meet the needs for new and existing projects. Our growth is careful and considered, though we have no plans for becoming a large organization. We are committed to fostering a team focused as much on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a supportive work environment as it is on building great user-focused systems.
We’re looking for two Technical Project Managers to join our team. We are open to individuals of various experience levels, though ideally you’ll be joining us with at least one prior full-time experience planning and coordinating technical projects and teams. We favour applicants with a strong sense of ownership over their own work. In collaboration with our Director of Project Management, you will be empowered to continually evaluate and improve our project management methodologies and process, thereby helping the entire team excel at their jobs. Excitement and ability to learn and contribute is more important to us than other metrics like years of experience.
These positions are available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
- Collaborate with our developers, designers, and clients to sustainably and effectively drive projects to completion.
- Balance the needs of concurrent projects that are each reliant on a different group of people on our team. You’ll be responsible for overseeing the progress of assigned projects, ensuring everyone has appropriate tasks and deadlines, and foreseeing, flagging, and eliminating possible blockers.
- Document and manage our tasks and clients using project management tools, optimizing for collaboration and communication. We currently use Shortcut and Notion for project tracking and Slack for communication.
- Help the team resolve issues as they come up, and raise them with clients and project owners as necessary.
- Be the source of truth for the state of your team’s projects, keeping track of project status and deadlines and working with all parties to adapt to changing goals when necessary.
- Keep our path to the future clear: as our bug and feature backlogs change, work with our clients to keep our upcoming tasks relevant.
- Contribute to client proposals and contracts.
- Assess and evaluate project success, collaborating with the team to adapt future methodologies and processes as needed.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions both internally and externally to create better project outcomes.
- Balance deadlines and client needs with a supportive work environment and focus on quality of life.
- Be eligible & available to work from Canada.
- Have a passion for learning and self-improvement, both in terms of the tools and methodologies we use as a team, and personally.
- Be an enabler who thrives on finding ways to get the most out of our team and team members.
- Love team building and facilitation, including leading meetings, and problem resolution/mediation.
- Effectively manage time commitments and priorities across competing goals. The ability to shepherd the team to completing goals is a must.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and have significant experience communicating with a team and with clients.
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, as well as Ecuador and the United Kingdom.
We’re confident we’ll be able to help you get up to speed on the technical end of the job, but ideally you'll identify with some of the following statements.
- You care deeply about maintaining a sustainable software development process where Product, Design, Engineering, and you collaborate.
- You have been a Project Manager in the software industry.
- You have led projects involving technical operations and new software product/service development.
- You’ve helped ship a digital product and know what it takes to get a project done with a team of developers.
- You have experience joining and communicating with a tightly knit team of people, and dealing directly with external clients.
Growth & ownership
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. All members of the team are encouraged and given space to grow as individual contributors, and have ongoing opportunities in project and team leadership.
We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approach. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to our mix.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we’re currently working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we’d love to hear from you.
Remote working is just as good as local
Our team has been remote-friendly for over 20 years, and remote-first for the last 7. We continue to improve our approach to having a dispersed team. This is a full-time remote position regardless of location, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Over half of our team is full-time remote and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with a remote team regardless of your location.
Typically all employees spend at least one week each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly once you feel safe traveling.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great and small but growing team, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people with whom you’ll be working.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work days, approached collaboratively with you to allow for the realities of appointments, family minding, and your everyday life.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation, on top of 10 paid days of civic holidays, and 3 weeks of paid company-wide shut down.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- New computer hardware every 3 years, and other tools as needed.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salaries based on experience starting at CAD $56-64,000 per year for those earlier in their career and CAD $78-90,000 per year for more senior candidates, with both annual company wide salary band adjustments as well as opportunities and expectation of ongoing career and compensation growth.
- Additional remote worker salary add-on of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness salary add-on of $500 per year.
How to apply
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line “Technical Project Manager”, a brief overview of your qualifications, and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship. We will begin reviewing applications as of Friday, July 29th and would appreciate if interested candidates could have their applications in by this date.
We want people to feel they can be their genuine selves at work, so we’d love to hear about who you are. If there is anything else you would like to share with us — i.e. a Medium or Twitter account, online writing or select blog posts, etc. — please feel free to include those as well.
If you require accommodations at any phase of the application or interview process, please let us know by email. We would be happy to support you and discuss accommodations as required.