Digital Marketing Strategist
Posted Mar 8
Headquarters: Washington DC
Marketade, a small, remote digital marketing and UX consultancy based in DC, is looking for a senior-level or mid-level marketing strategist to join our team.
We are at a pivotal moment in our history and are expanding our capacity to take on more ambitious projects. We need an experienced digital marketer to take on our most challenging marketing projects for clients. The ideal candidate is someone who can 1) think strategically, 2) execute those strategies, and 3) measure the results.
You'll be the most experienced marketer on our team, collaborating regularly with your UX and content colleagues. And you'll interact with marketers, designers, engineers, executives and customers at our clients to gain a deep understanding of their business and their needs.
Your 12-Month Performance Review:
Fast forward 12 months ... Congrats! In your first year at Marketade, you accomplished these objectives:
#1: Led 2 projects that resulted in 20% lift in qualified leads for a travel client.
- Oversaw conversion-focused projects where you collaborated with our UX specialist to tackle problems identified in usability testing and in-depth analytics.
- Implemented traffic-focused SEM and SEO initiatives in collaboration with the client’s marketing specialist.
- Identified clear hypotheses and and success metrics up front, enabling the team to quickly move on from failing efforts, and focus on winning ones.
- Overcame client concerns about the costs of running A/B tests and the risks of failed experiments.
- Collaborated with the client’s analyst to enable attribution of business metric improvements back to our work.
#2: Provided strategic direction to project team for a B2B industrial client that led to a 25% increase in organic-driven revenue.
- Helped reshape our existing content strategy and UX work to better align with SEO and ensure measurable improvement in organic metrics.
- Trained a junior team member on how to conduct a technical SEO audit, and helped prioritize the changes.
- Worked with our content specialist to launch the client’s first experiments with lead nurture campaigns.
#3: Led multi-day workshop for non-profit client to establish goals, strategy and roadmap for 2018.
- Led workshop session to identify measurable business goals, set ambitious targets, and create initial plan to track and report on progress.
- With goals established, teamed up with our UX strategist to run a collaborative activity (e.g. affinity mapping) that aligned the client’s marketing, IT and creative teams around a unified vision and strategy.
- Finally, partnered with our project manager to lead an execution planning session that identified milestones, first steps, due dates and owners.
- In the months after the workshop, as executives pushed for shiny new distractions, helped the client team to remember our vision and goals and stay on track.
#4: Helped software startup discover scalable business model by applying Lean Startup methods.
- Teamed up with company founders and product owner to conduct Customer Development (talking to 50+ customers a month), Value Proposition Design and ongoing hypothesis-testing approach.
- Helped founders see where their assumptions about customer pains and goals were wrong — and sold them on the need to pivot despite strong resistance.
- After seeing initial signs of product/market fit, conceived and executed multi-channel customer acquisition strategy. Helped company to grow from 300 to 4,500 subscribers in 9 months.
Additional Duties & Achievements:
- Owned marketing strategy work and SEO/SEM for our top marketing clients.
- Moved into role as marketing team lead and started recruiting a new junior-level marketer.
- Trained UXers on best practices in marketing strategy, SEO, SEM and other marketing areas. Helped them to think like marketers while they helped you to think like a UXer.
- Rolled up your sleeves to execute when necessary — writing ad copy, interviewing customers, launching A/B tests.
- Inspired 4 case studies that have helped to retain and grow existing clients, and start to attract new clients.
- Fell in love with complex problems facing clients, and built deeper understanding of their business models, metrics, products and customers than any consultant they’ve worked with.
- Found novel ways to break down silos among UX, marketing, content and analytics, both within client organizations and within Marketade.
- Relentlessly pursued activities likely to result in measurable impact on the client's’ business goals; ruthlessly cut everything else.
- Created marketing strategy for Marketade to help us start to attract new clients.
Must-Have Skills & Values:
- Marketing strategy
- Bias for action
- Commitment to growth
- Ability to quickly understand business/product
Nice-to-Have / Eager-to-Learn Skills:
- Technical SEO
- Content strategy
- Writing for the web
- Demand generation / marketing automation
- UX design
- User research
- Client training
- This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
- We work remotely. You can work from anywhere in North America.
- Bonus points if you live in the greater Washington DC area.
- You'll likely travel to client sites 2 days a month, on average.