Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Earlier this year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal
of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet. A key aspect of our work is partnering with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and building technology to optimize the broader ecosystem combating online child sexual abuse.
What You'll Do:
- Work with the product team to understand and deliver on their requirements.
- Create technical specifications, prototypes, and presentations to communicate your ideas.
- Collaborate with engineering, product, and cross-functional teams to devise optimal engineering solutions.
- Play a critical role in day-to-day coding, design, code reviews, and troubleshooting production issues.
- Drive technical innovation by researching and incorporating new technologies and tools into our core system
- Mentor other engineers
Skills We're Seeking:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have proficient software development knowledge with experience building, growing, maintaining a variety of products, and a love for creating elegant applications using modern technologies.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production.
- You have a passion for product engineering and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
Technologies We Use:
You should have non-trivial experience with React, but we’re excited about teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- React / TypeScript
- Node / Express
- Relational database (PostgreSQL or others)
- Docker / Kubernetes
Thorn is a strong and flexible team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, subject matter expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, hobbies, etc. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.