Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
TextUs is the leading conversational messaging platform for mobile-first customer interactions. We improve business outcomes by allowing organizations to have amazing, message-based conversations with their prospects, customers, and employees across their entire journey with the organization.
TextUs is looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to join our team and to help us build our applications. In particular, we are looking for an engineer who is eager to mentor.
TextUs values hiring and growing Junior Engineers, not only to increase diversity in technology but to keep the Ruby and Rails community growing. Upon finding our hire for this role, the Senior Software Engineer will be involved in hiring a Junior Backend Software engineer. Together, they will work on integrations, adding new API endpoints and reviewing team pull requests.
You are excited to teach good development practices for clean code and reliable software. You are someone that has empathy for others and enjoys helping them when they are stuck. This does not have to be your first experience mentoring.
WHO YOU ARE
- 5+ experience developing production Rails APIs professionally
- Comfortable working in a 100% remote environment
- An included statement in your application on how you have worked with Ruby on Rails at production scale and why you would want to mentor a Junior developer.
You are also
- Driven to create and maintain stable third-party integrations
- Eager to continuously collaborate with members of the Engineering and Product teams.
- Proficient in writing excellent documentation to guide our partners, development, and support teams.
- Familiar with common software design patterns, and their use in conjunction with Rails MVC.
- Able to demonstrate pragmatic decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Passionate about the craft of programming, taking the time to think through hard problems and using your tools to develop reliable and maintainable software.
- Eager to maintain a robust CI/CD tooling, processes, testing, and procedures.
A TYPICAL WEEK
- Our Senior Feature developers are in only a few recurring meetings weekly: a weekly standup, Engineering Leadership (to discuss technical decisions), and a monthly Retro. We also do project retros as projects conclude. We want you to have the majority of your time to focus or to pair.
- Your mentee will schedule time to pair with you but this is not a 100% pairing role. Your responsibility is to be assigned a project and together, with the Engineering Manager, identify pieces that you and your mentee can work on independently or collaboratively.
- You and your mentee will collaborate on pull requests and the ideation phase for initial steps of a bug or chore that has been assigned.
This is our stack, we’re looking for someone with experience in most or all of
- Ruby on Rails
- Rspec Testing
- Postgres or similar relational database experience
- ActiveJob with AWS SQS, Sidekiq or similar background job system
- Dry.rb Ecosystem
- Integrating with SMS Providers
Note: our Frontend clients are written in React, Typescript, React Native and RxJS. This role is Backend only.
- Job Type: Full time
- Compensation Range: $140,000 - 160,000
- Location: Remote (US) / Headquartered in Denver, CO
- Target Start Date: 4 weeks from offer date
- # hires for this role: 1
- Reporting to: Engineering Manager
By submitting your resume for this role, you consent to communications via text and email
- Interview w. Hiring Manager (30 mins via Zoom Video)
- Topics: Culture, leadership, skills, role overview
- Pairing Session w. Backend Team (2 hrs via Zoom Video)
- Topics: Culture, skills, role overview
- Rembrandt Assessment (Self Paced)
- The Rembrandt assessment allows TextUs to assess how your personality fits within the role and the TextUs culture.
- Q&A w. CTO (30 mins via Zoom Video)
- Topics: Culture, leadership, skills. Also, please come prepared with questions about the role, team, and product to ensure this role is the best fit for you.
Our Engineering Team is guided by high empathy and high responsibility. This means that we care about our engineers’ career trajectory and their thoughts on our product direction and implementation. Our engineers are trusted with autonomy: the latitude in how and when work gets done. We are a collaborative, learning and data-driven culture with an experienced and proven leadership team.
TEXTUS BENEFITS INCLUDE
- Competitive pay
- Health / Dental / Vision Insurance
- HSA contributions
- 401K with company match
- Unlimited PTO
- Equity within the organization
- Cell phone + internet reimbursement for $100/month
- One-time $1,000 home office stipend once you’ve been with TextUs for 6 months
- Up to 12 weeks of Parental Leave
- 2022 Holiday Schedule
- U.S. remote first with optional WeWork office space in downtown Denver, CO
TextUs does not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.