Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
The Senior Product Designer role at Tandem is all about collaborating with clients to help them solve meaningful business challenges. While this does involve designing usable and effective interfaces, this is only part of the job. Our consultants participate in client meetings, discovery sessions, human centered design discussions, and help with user research and feasibility in service of building products that fit with a customer's business.
Design consultants spend their days working directly with their clients in small teams of 4-6. The product designer is comfortable in all stages of the design process. This person conducts research using human centered design methodologies, translates insights that are geared towards digital products, creates wireframes and design elements, and collaborates with developers. The environment and work is very team-oriented, highly visible, and focused on business value. And, like all team members, the design consultant will exemplify Tandem’s values
in the execution of this work.
In this role you will...
- Work closely with your teammates and customers (during and after the sales process) to discover the best possible product to solve customer needs
- Lead user research efforts through interviews, focus groups, and brainstorming
- Storyboard and model product interactions
- Create wireframes and prototypes for client and user testing
- Work closely with software engineers to explore feasibility and oversee design implementation
- Solve complex problems and propose simple solutions
- Design pixel perfect designs for mobile, web, tablet, and devices
- Collaborate with software developers to implement interface designs and maintain quality through design reviews
- Learn new design tools and techniques as the industry and customer needs evolve
Skills and Experience
- 5 years or more within the digital industry
- A strong visual design portfolio and personal aesthetic
- Strong knowledge of information architecture
- Experience designing across multiple platforms and mediums
- Familiarity with data visualization and the communication of data through software interfaces
- Solid grasp of the fundamentals of design: color, composition, typography, proportion, rhythm, and form
- Deep understanding of business and the ability to fit design into a business context
- Experience leading user research: interviews, focus groups, brainstorming, etc
- Ability to own vision and strategy or a product and lead a team
- Mastery in articulating design decisions, business impact and value of design
- Strong experience with design tools (Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, etc.)
Nice to have
- Comfortable with front-end web development in HTML and CSS
- Excellent communication skills; we like to describe ourselves as concise, accurate, warm, but direct
- Obsessive eye for detail
- Proactive and self-directed
- High degree of self-awareness and empathy
- Work with a highly collaborative and values-driven team
- A competitive annual salary
- 100% employer paid plans for medical plans for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid plans for dental and vision for employee, spouse, and family
- 100% employer paid life insurance policy
- 100% employer paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 3 weeks paid time off increasing by 1 week each year up to 5 weeks off
- 3 paid conference days each year
- Annual learning budget for conferences, books, trainings, etc
- Yearly pre-tax transit benefit
- Catered lunch or breakfast in-office multiple days per week
- Healthy work/life balance with no overtime requests...work 40 hours, go home ;)
- Eligibility to enroll in the Tandem retirement plan with 3% employer matching after 6 months of employment
Our hiring process
- Phone screen
- Portfolio Review
- Design Challenge
The first step in our process is to fill out our application form. You will be asked a few questions on that form. We value thoughtful responses and will disregard applications without them.
If we decide to move forward, we’ll follow up with you to schedule an initial phone screen with one of our designers. Our phone screens are a chance for us to get to know the person behind the resume. We won’t be grilling you on design philosophies but are interested in learning about your career trajectory, professional experiences, and what interests you.
If that goes well, we’ll ask you to do a portfolio presentation. We like to see a mix of technical design presentations as well as process and how you arrived at your solutions. We will also leave time for you to ask us some questions.
The last step in the process is a virtual design challenge. We will pair you with some members of our team and ask you to solve a design problem. This is not real client work. We will use this challenge to understand how you work and how you articulate your design decisions.
If all goes well, you will move to the offer stage.