is a small, growing, and profitable software company that is building the future of spreadsheet-driven business applications. Ou main products are Form Publisher
, Awesome Table
. They are used and loved by millions and some of the most popular products in the Google Workspace marketplace.
Our company is around 30 people, remote-first and global (we have people based in Western and Eastern Europe, Philippines, Nigeria), all highly motivated and dedicated.
Our product values are: simplicity, empowerment, and getting out of the way.
We are looking for a highly motivated Software Engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will be responsible for the end-to-end development of core parts of the product. We expect you to help us take our products and our team to the next technical level and to teach us something we don’t know.
Our tech stack:
Our products are typically made of the following subproducts:
- A Google Workspace add-on which is small real-estate web-app integrated with Google Sheets/Forms. This is where the bulk of the functionality is exposed to users.
- A typical dashboard front-end, which contains administration and analytics.
- A business logic back-end
- A payments and billing back-end
- A logging and analytics pipeline
- A marketing website
Our product infrastructure is hosted on Google Cloud Platform:
- We run logic on App Engine, Cloud Functions, Cloud Pub Sub, Cloud Storage
- We store data in Firebase, PostgreSQL, Redis, BigQuery
We code in TypeScript (React), Google Apps Script, NodeJS and Java. We’re keen to introduce a new strong back-end language such as Golang in our stack.
Our marketing websites are coded in NextJS and hosted on Vercel.
Some examples projects that you could work on:
- Creating a design system
- Developing new features
- Revamping a core part of the UI
- Improving front-end performance
- Making our UI more accessible
- Implementing a localized UI
- Creating playgrounds for our marketing websites
- Implementing tracking of events
- Taking full responsibility for big projects and core parts of the product from a software engineering perspective
- Writing technical specifications for and developing new large features
- Contributing to product specification by evaluating the technical difficulty of a project
- Proactively proposing architecture, performance and infrastructure improvements
- Owning the release process, improving the software engineering life cycle (build, CI/CD)
- Helping set and maintain a high professional standard
- Helping junior developers to grow
How the dev teams work:
- Each product team is currently composed of 2-4 developers, 1 QA and 1 QA Automation, and 1 designer.
- We do not use any agile frameworks as we have found them not to be agile at all. We instead carve out projects that should last between two to six weeks, and meet daily for 5-15 minutes to discuss our progress and reevaluate priorities if need be. We hold a longer (~1h) meeting per week to plan the week ahead.
- Short-term tasks are tracked on a very simple Gantt chart in a Google Sheet and specifications are written in Google Docs.
- Developers use Jira to create and track tickets. We use Github and pull requests for version control. We use Github Actions for continuous deployment with automated tests.
- Communication with the wider team is done through email, Google Docs, a little bit of Slack and Google Meet.
- You care more about making reliable software used by many than a shiny unstable thing used by no one. You understand that engineering work is done first and foremost for the customers.
- You care a lot about performance, understand that speed is a core feature
- Fully capable of building, owning and running entire systems (new billing system, new api)
- Deep, substantial expertise in multiple programming environments
- You can provide material feedback on the work of junior programmers
- You’re a fan of spreadsheets and their programming paradigm
- You’re a team player
- Experience: 6+ years as a professional programmer on products, preferably cloud products with many users
- Programming languages: you have solid experience in React, Typescript and CSS. Bonus points for NextJS
- Software engineering tools: you’ve worked with git and Jira, you’re familiar with build tools, benchmarking, CI/CD and profiling tools
- Language: excellent in English, both written and oral
- Writing: you enjoy writing, you care about words and grammar
Compensation and benefits:
- The range for this role is EUR 70k-110k, depending on experience and type of contract
- 30 days of paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance (depending on the type of contract)
- Paid parental leave
How to apply:
We want to get a sense of how you write and think. To that end, please write an email that covers at least the following:
- Tell us why you want this job, and why you’re interested in building our products
- Tell us about something you’ve built that you’re proud of, show us some code if possible
- Tell us what you’re excited about in programming these days
- If possible, include a link to something you have written online
- Please ask the questions you have
We value great writers, so please show off those skills (stock cover letters won’t do). Send your email and resume, plus any public profile or material you feel relevant to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will first ask you a few targeted questions to be answered by email so as to get acquainted with you in writing.
- If that goes well, we’ll send you a technical test.
- You’ll then move on to an interview with a Lead Engineer
- Finally, an interview with the CTO.
We can’t wait to hear from you!