Hello WeWorkRemotely! We're looking to hire a Senior Ruby on Rails developer to join our team. This could also be a good opportunity for a mid-level dev who wants to move up.
Syncta is a small startup backed by Watts Water Technologies, a $1.5 billion company. Our business is selling backflow software to testers and water purveyors, who ultimately keep our drinking water safe. Check us out at Syncta.com.
We are headquartered near Portland, right off the Max, but our devs work remotely over Slack. Each quarter, we fly everyone in for one week of face-to-face time, and when we are all together, we have fun — group lunches, happy hours, Wii Sports tournaments, etc
Our app is quite large: 140 models in app/models. Our database is PostgreSQL, and our deployment is AWS Elastic Beanstalk. We use Rspec for testing (85% cov.) and Semaphore for CI/CD. We are an Agile team and our project management is through Jira.
We are looking for someone passionate about solving complex problems with code, without requiring hand-holding. Our ideal candidate understands 50% of programming is Googling and searching Stack Overflow and isn’t scared off by the size of our app. Solid Ruby on Rails experience is required.
- 2+ years as a full-time Ruby on Rails developer
- Comfortable in a startup environment
- Strong experience with AWS or similar cloud-hosting platforms
- Strong analytical and performance optimization skills
- Experience shipping platform changes in high-throughput scenarios
Nice to haves:
- Good understanding of SQL
- Experience with DevOps and CI/CD pipelines like Semaphore
- Familiarity with git-flow and Jira/Agile
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Build and ship new features and services critical to our customers
- Write clear, maintainable, scalable code across multiple projects
- Write and maintain tests to ensure long-term quality of our software
- Establish best practices for the team in terms of code/query performance
- Analyze application, job, and query performance using top of the line tools such as New Relic
- Take part in blameless retrospectives that help elevate the team and individuals to grow their engineering skills
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent education required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred