Shogun, and we're on a mission to help people create the best eCommerce experiences in the world.
We were in the Winter 2018 batch of Y-Combinator, we just raised a Series A investment, we have over 10,000 active paying clients, and we're preparing to launch a new product in 2020 (you can read more in Tech Crunch
Our teams are fully distributed and global (check out our team page
)! We have no office, so we are looking for team members that are comfortable with and motivated by the opportunity to work remotely.
An Engineering Manager with a passion for mentoring and building high functioning, happy teams and growing individual team members. You would be responsible for shaping our team by establishing sincere relationships with direct reports, supporting their career development needs, and being dedicated to contributing to the company's growth.
In This Role You Will...
- Lead and advocate for a team of software engineers who will report to you.
- Perform technical software engineering duties and oversee a team of engineers.
- Take an active role in building a high performing team by mentoring engineers and hiring.
- Improve and develop efficient processes for your team. Encourage taking risks and learning from mistakes.
- Translate business requirements using complex methods/models to determine appropriate system solutions.
- Deliver value to our users by collaborating with Product Management, equitably distribute work, manage scope, and mitigate disruptions or risks to support your team.
- Exercise your technical skill set by coaching your direct reports in their career paths.
- Communicate company’s vision and strategy to the team and serve as a point of contact for any questions.
- Encourage the team’s drive and empower them to achieve great deeds.
- Help build the structure that will support scaling operations of the Engineering team.
- 4+ years’ experience in managing high performing software engineers; being a hands-on manager who enjoys contributing to the code base with your team.
- 7+ years’ experience in consumer facing software development, preferably internet or e-commerce.
- Expert knowledge of current full-stack website technologies, standards, and UI design.
- Demonstrated skill as a people manager with past experience directly leading engineers.
- Strong software and data structure design, development and architecture experience.
- Success in owning and evolving Agile development processes.
- Experience with TypeScript, Go, and React.
- The ability to handle the ambiguity of a start-up, collaborate cross-functionally, and empathize with team members and customers.
- History of working in a fast paced, evolving, growing and dynamic environment.
- Ability to lead influence others and find creative solutions and move quickly to deliver them.
- Strong analytical skills with a data driven approach and ability to measure impact of projects.
- Competitive salary
- Benefits (vary by location)
- A highly skilled and dedicated team that is fun to work with.
- Remote work – We are a fully distributed team
- Occasionally, we hire on a full time contractor basis to begin with. Team members enjoy the same opportunities for great compensation, full time positions, and consideration, regardless of location.
- Work in the open: Operate with high integrity and choose what's right over what's easy. Be transparent as a company and with each other.
- People are People: Treat yourself, colleagues, and customers with dignity, empathy, and respect. Start from a presumption of positive intent.
- Win and grow together: Strive to be the best, individually and as a team. Support and encourage each other. Seek opportunities for growth.
Shogun supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class