At MetaLab, our Design Directors strike a balance among project oversight, learning, and development. This role is for the kind of person who can see the forest for the trees from any vantage point, be it from a client meeting or a design file. On any given day, you’re able to step up and lead or step back and evaluate how to best support your team. Adaptability, humility, and resourcefulness are table stakes, as no two projects (or clients) are alike.
You’ll need to be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with your design peers and with other cross-functional teams at MetaLab in order to advocate for and evolve the Design department. You’ll also represent MetaLab in client contexts and public events, so your ability to read a room, articulate with confidence, and work your charm is paramount to your (and our) success. Most importantly, you’ll have an undeniable eye for design and you thrive when you’re supporting others in achieving their best work.
- Reporting to a VP, Design, co-manage a +60-person design team with other Design Directors.
- Collaborate with the rest of MetaLab’s leadership team to keep company engagement high.
- Drive the overall Design team’s operations and strategy.
- Advocate for the design team internally to make sure they’re set up for success.
- Articulate constructive feedback and ensure the design team is evaluated and supported on an ongoing basis.
- Involved in vetting, hiring, and training new members of the design team.
- Mentor our team of Design Leads.
- Interact with the design team in-person and online daily, and with clients when needed.
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the design team.
- Collaborate with the Client Partnerships team to pitch new engagements to clients.
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of design engagements.
- Roll up your sleeves, get in the work, and provide guidance to several project teams simultaneously.
The must-have shortlist
- Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching a product design team
- You have previously led a team of product designers
- Strong understanding of product design
- Expert-level experience leading teams in UI/UX design
- Familiar with all the common designer tools such as Figma
- Ability to present designs to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence
- Well versed in facilitation techniques that enable groups to build clarity and alignment
- Understanding of product management and product life-cycles
- You’ve led teams building digital projects from scratch before
- Not an asshole
- Ability to be both a leader, a listener and a mentor for more junior designers
- Can actively build the skills of team members to make them more successful in their careers
- Active in the design community, representing MetaLab and attracting new talent
- Want to build incredible products for incredible clients with an incredible group of people
Equal opportunity employer
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways! We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life. We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.