Do you love to tell a story visually through awe-inspiring motion graphics and animations? Do you want to help craft educational videos about design topics that are every bit as high-end as what National Geographic does for history, science and culture? Do you want to showcase your skills in every frame while conveying powerful ideas into thousands of minds daily? That’s a big audience, hence why we’re looking for serious talent.
The Interaction Design Foundation is the biggest online design school globally. Founded in 2002, we have over 110,000 graduates and counting. We're market leaders in online design education because the world's leading experts create our content and because we're specialized in design. What’s more, with over 1.5 million monthly visitors, we’re at the forefront of providing premier design education to such organizations as IBM and SAP, as well as thousands of other members. Our ever-growing community now needs a first-class Motion Graphics Designer and Visual Storyteller to help each of them along their learning journey.
Visual storytelling is a huge part of our winning formula: to reach our members on that magic level where they’re captivated to complete their course while feeling utterly inspired every step of the way. It’s about bringing entire worlds of knowledge so close that our members can taste and digest each morsel of delicious learning effortlessly and that—and this is the big one—they stay addicted to learning!
You will, therefore, become an essential part of our team, someone who is making a direct impact on not only the growth and reputation of our foundation but also the whole world of education and beyond!
This is a paid full-time position which is location independent:You’refree to work from wherever you want in the world. You will have regular video-call contact with your colleagues and get to meet them physically on team trips.
What you will be doing
You’ll be working closely with our UX design experts, founders, video editors, course producers and other team members to make the most inspiring and engaging lesson videos for our ever-growing catalog of courses. Videos are the best way to educate, and we have the best instructors: people who live and breathe UX design and many associated subjects. That means you’ll need to produce the best motion graphics and animations to support what they’re teaching and employ all the tricks you know to make this magic a reality!
You’ll feel energized as you take your skill set to an even higher level among a highly ambitious and supportive team. Your expertise and eagle eye can help us refine our visual presence yet further and improve our video style guide. In fact, your sheer talent and eye for detail will be a big part in shaping the future of our video production and—by association—of design itself!
So, what do our videos look like
? Well, here’s an example of what’s called a “design story”
. In it, we filmed various airports and compared some aspects of their designs. As you can see, educational videos are not merely “talking heads with slides”.
This next video
shows you what our educational videos—based on interviews and lectures—look and feel like. It shows how much emphasis and effort we put into animations, footage and on-screen text to give the ultimate learning experience.
And this third video
is an example of how we create promotional videos to engage new users and spread our work even more.
So, if after seeing these videos you think “I could do better than that!”, then we’d love to hear from you!
- You have worked as a professional full-time video editor for at least 5 years. Your professional emphasis should be on motion graphics and animation. Perhaps your colleagues call you an animation nerd.
- You have solid practical experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro and Media Encoder to produce and export edited projects, and in Adobe After Effects to create effects and animate motion graphics.
- You are fluent in working with imported or exported raster and vector images using tools such as Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
- You can push video learning ’one step beyond’, so your animations, illustrations, on-screen text and other visual effects work in perfect harmony to complement each instructor’s material and produce the ’wow’ factor.
- You can place an entire, self-contained learning reality right in the mind of each member so all they have to do is watch and learn… and then feel extra-hungry to get out there and apply their new-found knowledge.
- You have a love affair with the world of storytelling in film and impressing viewers through every frame of the journey.
- You know visual storytelling is more than the sum of its parts, and the overall effect is vital.
- You will be a master of organization, from keeping footage and assets arranged, efficient notetaking, all the way through to being able to create meaning from the material you have.
- And you have an ultra-sharp eye for the parts that make up the whole, right down to those finest details that are extra important to you. So, you catch any glitches, problems with continuity and other imperfections such as lighting and audio-related issues. You cringe at the idea of even the smallest rough edge creeping in to ruin a frame or make a transition jerky.
- You love an environment of striving—and stretching—for perfection. You’re supremely competent and confident in working independently to produce the best material, and you know and love what a perfect product looks like.
- You understand how others’ input can sometimes help you get the distance you need to see those odd bits that can flaw an otherwise-perfect result.
- And, last but not least, you can see the world in terms of moving pictures, of powerful narratives waiting to be told and of matching our instructors’ zest and energy with your own natural passion for bringing ideas to life… and serving it all up in a way that screams extra care, extra value, extra-super choice to our members… and everyone they can then tell about what they got from us.
How to Learn More and Apply
Please apply as soon as you can—we’re firm believers in the adage “the sooner, the better”, and we look forward to working with you!