Time zones: GMT (UTC +0)
, CET (UTC +1)
, EET (UTC +2)
Over 10,000 businesses in 140 countries use Help Scout to serve their customers in a human, helpful way. As a Technical Support Specialist, you’re at the heart of what drives us — our customers. You’ll have a considerable impact on the company in a number of ways. You’ll help customers learn the best way to use Help Scout for their team. You’ll be a voice for the customer, ensuring the company is learning from customer experiences with the product (both good and bad!). And as a member of the Customers Team, you’ll help our team develop and refine systems to make sure we’re always improving.
Our ideal hire is motivated by what we’re doing as a company, believes in the value of quality technical support, and is eager to contribute to the success of our customers. As someone who is first in line to help, your understanding of the product and our customers will be incredibly valuable.
About the Role
The entire team works out of the main queue, so you’ll spend much of your day helping potential and current customers via email. If you’re curious to hear how our team works together, check out this webinar
. While email support will be the majority of your day, everyone on the team helps out in Beacon chat, and you’ll also hop on impromptu calls with customers when needed.
You’ll become an expert in all areas of the product. You’ll troubleshoot potential bugs, document feature requests, and collaborate with the rest of the team to help elevate the voice of the customer at Help Scout. We’ll help set you up for success to become a mindful, contributing member of our support team. Specialists help a minimum of about 250 customers a month, but we won’t overburden you with quotas, empty policies, or unnecessary procedures. Doing what’s in the best interest of the customer is at the heart of what we do.
Career Growth on the Customers Team
The Customers team is a vocal and respected advocate for the customer at Help Scout, and we value strong collaboration with other teams, including Engineering and Product, Marketing, Sales, and People Ops. We care about your career development as a support professional, and we’ll make sure you’re developing skills and knowledge that will serve you for years to come. To learn more about our team structure and opportunities for growth within the Customers team, check out this blog post: Career Paths for Customer Service Agents at Help Scout
. We actively promote from within the Customers team - both for managers and specialists.
Just the Facts
- This is a full-time, remote position. You’re someone who thrives working autonomously and don’t need much (if any) oversight to get things done.
- We’re looking for someone who can work Monday to Friday, 9a-5pm GMT or CET.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, the salary options are $73,000, $77,000, or $83,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
- You take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion. If it needs doing, you do it.
- You’re eager to take on challenges. When you don’t know something, you embrace the chance to grow and get better. Former teammates and managers would call you resilient and balanced.
- We work together as a team, and that means we encourage each other to improve as a team. You are self-sufficient and love the challenge of solving problems and learning new things.
- You have some experience working in Support or Success. You’re passionate about support and the important role it plays in a company, and you’re excited to build a customer-centric career.
- You welcome an environment where you can do great work independently.
- You’re patient, an active listener, and you’re naturally curious with a strong desire to learn.
- You’re an incredible communicator, fluent in written English. Your writing is clear and simple.
- Your empathy and self-awareness help you intuitively and proactively solve potential customer troubles. You’re a problem solver who goes out of their way to help people - always.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion
. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.