Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
About the role
We are looking for a Staff UI/UX Designer to help us raise the next $10 billion for charity by creating our user experience vision north star. This is a highly impactful role that will drive the Nonprofit Experience, a new division that oversees a few teams that make it easier for nonprofit fundraisers to unlock transformational gifts. You’ll learn a ton about the unique challenges we have in the nonprofit transformational giving industry, and work alongside an incredibly talented team of designers, UX researchers, developers, product managers, nonprofit success strategists, and many others in what you will find to be a thoughtful, intentional, joyful culture that cares about people, values work-life balance, and focuses on learning and growth.
To be a great fit, you have a track record of leading projects to successful outcomes for users and the business. You are a strong cross-functional collaborator, kind and excellent communicator, great advocate for the voice of the user, and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You approach problems holistically, with a systems and service design mindset, leveraging research insights and data from a variety of sources. At the same time, you fret the visual details. You uphold a high quality bar, create elegantly simple solutions to multi-faceted problems, and are able to influence the entire company through your work and leadership.
This role will report to our Director of UX & Product Design, Sheba Najmi, who reports directly to our co-CEO.
- Plan strategically and think tactically as a partner with product and engineering as a trio to define the future of the team and product strategy
- Shape product strategy by evangelizing to solve persistent user problems and establishing UX metrics to measure the human outcomes of our work
- Paint an inspiring north star experience vision and drive the creation of product principles
- Independently problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how to converge and build iteratively towards your vision
- Use research and data to tell a holistic end-to-end story, while executing high quality UI/UX designs via wireframes, mockups, specs, user journeys, and cross-platform interactive prototypes
- Set up the systems/processes for sharing cross-functionally and receiving frequent feedback
- Create a strong design thinking culture across the company by working highly collaboratively with other departments such as Partner Success and Sales, employing your strengths in relationship building, communication, listening, learning, inclusiveness, and facilitation of design sessions
- Use excellent time management skills to scale up, cut back, or reconsider solutions based on project objectives and resources
- Coach other individual contributors on approach, focus, and quality, taking an active interest in the career development of other designers
- Evolve our team’s resources, such as design patterns and toolkits/workflows
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years of experience working in UX, UI, or HCI related field
- Good understanding of accessibility and design systems
- Solid experience designing for responsive web
- Experience with data visualization and service design
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including skillful planning and facilitation of leadership stakeholder discussions and workshops
- Highly proficient with design tools and interactive prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision, Principle, or equivalent)
- Excellence in both UI/UX design craft and systems thinking
- Experience with managing a complex workload and prioritizing in accordance with business priorities
- Ability to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Staff holidays and FreeDays (periodic one day office closures to rest and refresh)
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.