the basics of the back-end developer position:
+ You’d be working on custom WordPress sites. Ideally, you would be comfortable with front-end pieces as well as complex back-end ones.
+ You’d be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are occasionally some video chats we’ll need to do either via video chat.
+ You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub, more power to you.)
+ Depending upon the type of work, you’ll either get paid a flat rate on a per-project basis or hourly for any clients we have ongoing support with (particularly those for which the scope is ever-evolving).
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- You know how to work with Woocommerce.
- You’re very comfortable working with Advanced Custom Fields.
- You are comfortable working with third party APIs like Mailchimp or Google’s APIs.
- You understand how to work with cPanel, working with databases directly, and are confident migrating websites to new hosts.
This job IS for you if:
- You’re available fully or partly during standard EST hours – roughly 9am to 4pm EST. We're hiring two positions and one of those would need to be during standard operating hours.
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized.
- You are detailed oriented and meticulous. You get letter spacing, fonts, and column widths right. And you’ll even make sure the site ends up with custom favicon.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You are comfortable using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to gather information from designs for development.
- You can commit to the position for at least one year.
Our ideal candidate is a developer who has an exacting aesthetic eye and the ability to make things so intuitive that the non savvy user can feel comfortable editing.
This job ISNOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You prefer to start out with a pre-made theme with page builders for website development.
- You often miss details.
- You think that a 28px margin is the same thing as a 25px margin. Or that Helvetica is the same thing as Open Sans.
Most projects last between 4 and 12 weeks, depending upon the size of the project and the client feedback process.