Boclips is the small but mighty educational technology start-up. We build our products around tons of pre-selected educational videos to enhance and improve learning experiences around the world.
Engineering at Boclips
Boclips is a team of 35 across the world with a team of 14 in product, design, data and engineering.
Nice to have/Tech stack:
We leverage state of the art technologies to deliver our solutions.
+Microservices +Java + Continuous Delivery + DDD
+React and Redux on top of TypeScript
+Backends are JVM based with Spring Boot powered by Kotlin.
+Concourse CI automatically tests and packages all services into Docker containers, which get deployed on a cloud Kubernetes cluster in the end.
+ Top level communication skills and in English!
+ A well-rounded understanding of how modern web applications operate
+ Openness towards pair programming and TDD.
+ Interest in evolving engineering practices to be better and simpler and contributing to engineering culture.
How and what do we work on?
- We are all Fullstack Software Engineers.
- We pair program a lot to share context, learn from each other and solve problems more quickly.
- We deliver continuously, which allows us to work in short cycles and ship code frequently.
- We use TDD. Following the red/green refactor cycle of Test-Driven Development is enjoyable and helps to keep everything in perspective. It helps us as engineers to think through a problem, detailing required functionality through tests.
- Domain-driven Design. Helps us keep things simple.
- Data. Gathering events from users' actions allows for better decisions on improvements and choosing new features.
- Automation. As a startup we're still in the phase of building and optimising our internal workflows. We're continuously looking at ways to automate back office tasks to make everyone happy.
Take a look at our product and engineering blog if you'd like to learn more about how we work.
What about you?
We believe in hiring for engineering aptitude over niche or deeply technical skills.
- You can communicate clearly to all audiences, including non-technical team members and external partners.
- You advocate for writing high-quality code and leaving things in a better state than you found them.
- You're a well-rounded software engineer who likes to understand the business context and anything else that might impact the product.
- You have reached a good level of software craftsmanship, preferably fullstack.
What We Offer
- Good base salary
- 30 days leave + 8 bank holidays
- Private Healthcare with Vitality
- Professional development budget and wellness budget (£1500 per year)
- Decent tech (macBook pro / screens as standard) + home office budget
- Flexi / Remote role. We have offices in London and Warsaw. This role can be remote, hybrid or office-based.
At Boclips, we're building a product for education, which means we are building a product for all learners. Our platform and its content is viewed by thousands of students around the world every week who have different needs, abilities and backgrounds. That's why we are committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability so our team can better empathise with our users.