Position Title: Mobile Money Certification Auditor
Reports To: Director of Certification
Compensation: Variable (depending on experience)
Location: Negotiable: All Alliances Management team members work virtually
Dedication: Expected 30-40 hours/month
Qualified candidates should send a resume and a customized introductory letter (which we really do read) to email@example.com. Applications should be received no later than 10 October 2017.
Alliances Management is an association management and consulting company with professionals located throughout the United States and satellite offices in Europe and Asia. We fulfill high-profile functions for international clients, including EMVCo and FIDO in the association space and eBay and Visa in the private sector. We have grown tenfold since our inception in 2006 because of our unwavering commitment to excellence. Our services include development of international programs, management of global events, financial management, and implementation of certification programs.
We are interested in hiring only candidates with extremely high standards and who believe that client satisfaction is not only essential in its own right, but also because it will bring long-term success to Alliances Management.
To learn more, visit www.alliancesmanagement.com.
CONTEXT FOR THE MOBILE MONEY CERTIFICATION AUDITOR ROLE
“Mobile money” is an electronic wallet concept that allows consumers to store, send, and receive money using their mobile phones, as opposed to a traditional bank. Such services are available around the world and are especially popular in developing countries in which large populations have access to mobile devices but fewer have access to traditional banks. The convenience of such services for consumers is easy to understand, but users understandably want assurance that their funds will be safeguarded by the mobile network operators (MNOs) or other financial institutions responsible for the service.
Enter the GSMA, an association representing hundreds of mobile network operators worldwide. GSMA created a “Code of Conduct” that “identifies important principles related to improving quality of services and customer satisfaction, facilitating the implementation of trusted partnerships, and building trust with regulators and encouraging the implementation of appropriate and proportional regulatory standards.”
Alliances Management serves as the “Scheme Operator” for the Certification efforts surrounding GSMA’s Code of Conduct. In this capacity, it is responsible for evaluating the extent to which a mobile money provider (MMP) adheres to the Code of Conduct and issuing a certification to those organizations that meet program requirements. As the Scheme Operator, Alliances Management receives and evaluates reports that are written by independent Assessors who have visited mobile money providers to assess business processes, received detailed access to financial statements, and evaluated onsite and digital security. Our job is to evaluate (“audit”) these reports to determine if the Assessor’s findings about a particular MMP establish that the MMP meets the requirements for certification.
The Candidate will be responsible for reviewing reports from third party assessment companies and evaluating the extent to which an Assessor has established that a Mobile Money Provider (MMP) meets the following requirements for Mobile Money certification (all are from GSMA’s “Code of Conduct”):
Financial and Accounting-Related Parameters
1. Mobile Money Providers are adequately protecting customer funds against risk of loss
2. Maintain effective mechanisms for anti-money laundering (AML) and combating the financing of terrorism (CFT)
3. Systems and processes are in place to properly monitor, report, and reconcile financial transactions
4. Customer service staff, agents, and entities providing outsourced services to ensure that they offer safe and reliable services
5. Communicate clear, sufficient and timely information to empower customers to make informed decisions
Requirements & Skills:
• A minimum of five years’ experience with financial auditing and matters related to AML and CFT, microfinance, social ratings or similar.
• Experience in international accounting, especially in developing countries in Africa and Latin America
• A minimum of five years’ experience with business process auditing, such as ISO 9001 experience or similar.
• Experience working in a certification environment preferred
• Experience working with international standards and/or trade associations preferred
• Ability to work well in a “matrix” organization that requires answering to different managers and working with individuals across different parts of the company
• Familiarity and experience working with business professionals from different cultural backgrounds
• Fluency in English required, and ability to work in Spanish and French desirable
• Proven ability to resolve new web tasks that require research and troubleshooting
• Extreme attention to detail
• Positive attitude and a team player—both with managers and colleagues
• Degree in Economics or Finance
This is a part-time consulting opportunity. The Candidate will be asked to evaluate a certification request approximately twelve times annually, and each evaluation is projected to require 30-40 hours’ effort (thus 360 – 480 hours annually in total). It is expected that each evaluation should be completed within two weeks, thus making this approximately a half-time effort during the twelve review periods throughout the year.