Request for Proposals: Graphic Design Work, MoveOn
Headquarters: Berkeley, CA
Visit company website
View all MoveOn jobs
Request for Proposals: Ongoing Graphic Design Work
We seek a firm to provide ongoing graphic design production capacity that plays an important role in our grassroots organizing and advocacy campaigning in 2019, with a production load of up to 300 graphic images advancing a variety of progressive causes.
The images you create will support the ongoing resistance to Trump and Republicans’ attacks on various communities and our democracy as a whole. Your work will also help to build power for the progressive movement, building on the success of recent mass mobilizations, as well as November’s blue wave. You’ll create images supporting progressive champions, as well as holding elected officials accountable when they act against the public interest.
As the primary producers of images for MoveOn—an organization with a vital role in mobilizing millions of activists—you will help educate the public, inspire people to take action, and pressure campaign targets to do the right thing.
The graphics you most frequently produce will be for social media, which we will share via our Facebook (1.6 million fans), Instagram (90,000 followers), and Twitter (328,000 followers) networks, as well as other channels. But we will also call on you to design a variety of other content, including images for emails and text messages to millions of MoveOn members, videos, our website, one-pagers, stickers, rally signs, billboards, T-shirts, and wrapped vehicles.
Some of our design work will be planned in advance with weeks or even months of prior notice, but much of it is often of a rapid response-nature: Something happens in the world, and we seek to respond within the news cycle, while the public is paying attention and mass mobilization has the highest potential for impact.
Your design work will tell our story of progressive people power and advance the brand we launched in the spring of 2018: brand.moveon.org.
You will join morning editorial meetings with our Video Lab and social media teams and others throughout the organization to develop social image ideas, and you will be able to make design capacity available on short notice in response to timely requests. You will collaborate closely with a wide range of MoveOn staff, including our communications, campaigns, and other teams, incorporating feedback and iterating on designs.
In our external campaigning as well as our internal work together as a team, we seek to advance core values of equity and inclusion, including a commitment to identifying and uprooting unjust oppression. We know social identities including race, gender, immigration status, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, and more can show up in organizations and the movement in ways that provide unfair advantages to some while unfairly disadvantaging others. We will expect you to partner with us in supporting equity and opposing oppression as we collaborate together.
MoveOn is the largest independent progressive advocacy group in the United States. MoveOn is where millions mobilize for a better society—one in which everyone can thrive.
Whether it's supporting a candidate, passing legislation, or changing our national culture, MoveOn members are committed to an inclusive and progressive future. We envision a world marked by equality, sustainability, justice, and love. And we mobilize together to achieve it.
Over the past 20 years, MoveOn members have been part of game-changing victories and have worked together to play a leading role in ending the war in Iraq, passing landmark legislation such as health care reform, and advancing the cause of economic fairness. Since the 2016 election, we have formed a pillar of the resistance to Donald Trump. MoveOn Political Action’s 2018 “Resist & Win” election work led to hundreds of thousands of additional votes for Democratic candidates nationwide.
We should note that, within this project, you will do work for both MoveOn Civic Action and MoveOn Political Action, a 501(c)(4) and federal political action committee, respectively. Your proposal should name both entities, and you will be responsible for calculating and reporting to us which proportion of your work each month was for which entity.
- Production of up to 300 images a month, ranging from graphics for social media to ads to many other forms of graphic design for a wide variety of purposes.
- Produce consistently excellent designs that carry our visual identity and that connect with and move those who view them. The designs must tell compelling stories and inspire people to take action.
- Make a timely response to design requests, producing urgent images within 4 hours of a request (or faster) during regular working hours and being able to provide occasional timely coverage on evenings and weekends when asked in advance or in some response moments.
- Collaborate effectively with our staff to ensure that the image concepts you execute successfully carry our message and advance our campaign and organizational objectives.
- Advance the values of equity and inclusion and oppose oppression in the content you produce and in the ways in which you interact with our team.
- Collaborate in establishing and managing a process for image design requests, edits, tracking, and approval, as well as image archival.
- Join meetings, including our weekly communications meetings and our daily morning editorial meetings, where you will pitch ideas for timely quote graphics, memes, Instagram story content, and other images tied to the daily news cycle.
- Ensure that we have the right to use any content you deliver to us.
- Bill us regularly and accurately, differentiating between work conducted for MoveOn Civic Action and MoveOn Political Action.
The contract will likely run from April 1, 2019, through December 31, 2020.
Competitive proposals will be under $15,000 a month, at a flat monthly, rather than hourly, rate.
Criteria for Selection
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality graphic design work reliably at the scale and speed we desire.
- Portfolio of relevant work.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and anti-oppression in the outward-facing work you produce as well as within your firm.
- Your team’s ability to collaborate closely with the MoveOn team.
- Ability to stay on budget and track projects and billing effectively.
- Firm’s electronic security and data protection practices.
- Financial stability of firm.
Proposal Process & Timeline
We will accept proposals until 9 a.m. ET Monday, February 18.
We plan to follow up to schedule conversations with a portion of the firms submitting proposals and aim to have a decision in the following weeks.
Principal Point of Contact
Submit proposals via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Graphic Design.”
What the Proposal Should Include
- The firm’s background.
- Bios of the team and explanation of the role each person would play.
- Explanation of why you are well suited to take on this project.
- Portfolio of work for other clients, including work conducted by the people who would work on this project.
- Explanation of whether and how your firm has advanced the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Proposed workflows, project structure, and budget.
- Past clients that MoveOn may reach out to as references, with contact info.
- MoveOn reserves the right to make an award without further discussion of the proposal submitted. Therefore, the proposal should be submitted initially on the most favorable terms that the vendor could propose. There will be no best-and-final-offer procedure. MoveOn does reserve the right to contact a vendor for clarification of its proposal.
- The vendor should be prepared to accept this request for proposal for incorporation into a contract resulting from this request for proposal. Contract negotiations may incorporate some or the vendor’s entire proposal. It is understood that the proposal will become a part of the official procurement file on this matter without obligation to MoveOn.
No Obligation to Contract: This request for proposal does not obligate MoveOn to contract for services specified herein.
Rejection of Proposals: MoveOn reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to reject any and all proposals received without penalty and not to issue a contract as a result of this request for proposal.
Nondiscrimination:The vendor will adopt and disseminate a policy stating that the vendor, in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected basis.
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.