Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, HST (UTC -10)
Senior DevOps Engineer
REMOTE - USA
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has partnered with 1450+ nonprofits who support our mission while raising more than $9B in bequests to charities since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 6 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 175+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure. Check us out on Glassdoor
Full-time • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the US (except CO, AL, or LA)
About the role
We are looking for a compassionate and experienced DevOps engineer who wants to make an impact at a mission-driven company. You are excited to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative team and take on a high level of responsibility across many projects. You solve problems through continual experimentation, risk-taking, and learning from experience.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don't think that an individual's pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. When we make an offer, we provide multiple options so that employees can choose between compensation packages that prioritize salary or stock options. The offers for this role will be between $160,000 and $170,000.
This role reports to our Platform Engineering Manager, Katrina Walker
If you are interested in the role, please apply to our website. Please do not contact recruiters or FreeWill employees by email or phone.
- Pilot technical initiatives that improve the quality, velocity, and sustainability of FreeWill's cloud and engineering platforms
- Clearly explain solutions to complex problems and demonstrate the ability to pilot and impart knowledge effectively
- Work to foster a culture of ownership, empowerment, and psychological safety while interacting with a multitude of diverse teams
- Foster a curiosity for technology that can make your team's lives easier
- Contribute ideas to improve our product, technology, and team practices
Required Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience with AWS, specifically with serverless architecture (API Gateway, Lambda, Cloudfront, S3) and RDS
- Prior production experience with the Serverless Framework
- Familiar with modern DevOps toolsets for Infrastructure-as-code, CI/CD, observability, and security.
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Bash or Python
- Experience scaling production cloud systems for complex web applications
The hiring process for this role is as follows:
- Recruiter and Hiring Manager Phone Screen (30 minutes each)
- Take Home Exercise (1 hour)
- Final interviews with 3 FreeWill team members (3 separate interviews ranging from 30-60 minutes)
- Open Conversation / Reverse Interview with the Hiring Manager to ask questions (30 minutes)
- Offer (contingent on positive references)
Please note that steps in the hiring process can and may change and the Recruiter will be your point of contact in sharing about any updates in terms of the process. If you are selected to move forward in this process, the Recruiter will share more details about the hiring process and interviewers. However, this is a good estimate of what you can expect. For most roles, our hiring processes take an average of 4-6 weeks.
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Don’t check off every box in the requirements listed above? Please apply anyway! Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. FreeWill is dedicated to building an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace that fosters a sense of belonging – so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to still consider submitting an application. You may be just the right candidate for this role or another one of our openings.