silverorange is a design and development agency based in Canada. When pursuing work, we focus on interesting and meaningful projects. Over our 23 years as a company, we’ve worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations working in areas including arts funding and affordable internet access for low-income families, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education.
We’re proud of the fantastic products we’ve built in partnership with our clients and we’re actively invested in the processes behind these products. Within the next 6 months, we expect our team to grow from 31 to 34 people in order to meet the needs for new and existing projects. Our growth is careful and considered. We are committed to fostering a team-focused approach in our work of building great user-focused systems, while also placing a serious emphasis on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a supportive work environment.
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. All members of the team are encouraged and given space to grow as individual contributors, and have ongoing opportunities in project and team leadership.
We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approach. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to our mix.
Opportunity for employee ownership is a fundamental part of silverorange (non-founders currently own more than a third of the company) and we’re currently working on new ways to transfer even more ownership to employees.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse across many dimensions of diversity, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry to apply—we want to add your voice to the mix.
Our hiring process is under continual refinement, but currently this is what you can expect.
- You apply for a job with silverorange, we do a quick review of your resume to make sure you have the base skills.
- We send you a design or development exercise appropriate to the position, and ask you to spend 3-4 hours on it, then to return it to us as an updated git repo.
- On receipt of the exercise, we'll e-transfer you $100 CAD as an honorarium for your time put in so far. We'll also anonymize the git repo, pass it on to a group of our developers to review, and use that to make a decision to proceed with interviews.
- Your code was intriguing, so we'll offer you an interview. Typically these are panel interviews with 3 people from silverorange, and take 1 - 1.5 hours of time. We're looking for a sense of who you are and how you approach problems, not how well you answer puzzle-style questions.
- We take a little time to reflect on the exercise and the interview, and then reach out to offer you the position, or to know that we've decided not to extend an offer. We don't ghost.