Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
About Equa Health
Equa Health is creating a new category in digital mindfulness meditation training – one that uses a clinically-validated approach to personalized coaching, individual accountability and tailored guidance for every unique mindfulness journey. Based upon discoveries made in the Health & Human Performance lab at Carnegie Mellon University and founded in 2021, Equa is building better mental health outcomes through its interactive approach that has been studied rigorously in randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. These studies have shown that Equa reduces loneliness and stress biology and improves well-being as users apply techniques learned through Equa into their daily lives. We are bullish about the potential for mindfulness meditation to address the growing mental health epidemic facing our population today. Are you?
We are currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer with experience using React Native (or React, and an ability to pivot to Native with confidence) to join our team as a key player to help to build and grow the application and surrounding ecosystem, while also contributing directly towards design, development, operations, and maintenance of the application, and to help build out the team as we grow over the next year.
About the Job
As the Senior Software Engineer and ‘anchor’ engineer for the team, you will help lead the architecture, design, and implementation of our mobile mindfulness training technology. You will work with contract developers as well as in-house developers, with an eventual goal of bringing development in-house. We are an early stage startup, meaning you will have a lot of responsibility, but also a lot of autonomy and flexibility in how you accomplish your goals. Once up and running, you will be expected to be the technical lead for the application, any server-side components as well, working with engineering leadership, and providing mentorship and support to junior engineers.
- You are passionate about mental health and wellbeing, with a deep appreciation for the urgency to deliver evidence-based solutions that address the growing mental health epidemic.
- You aim to play a key role in guiding a team of engineers to product excellence, with a focus on user experience.
- You are a strategic thinker with great ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit who is constantly looking to improve yourself, your team, our applications, and our workplace.
- You have a deep knowledge of React Native, as well as general software development best practices, and understand how to innovate, solve problems, and analyze and explain cost/benefit decisions from an engineering perspective.
- You have successfully delivered mobile applications to large audiences in the past.
- 7+ years’ experience working as a Software Engineer, preferably on consumer-facing products.
- 2+ years’ recent experience working with React Native (or React), and an ability to consistently deliver projects using that stack.
- A CS or CS-relevant degree… maybe? – If so, that’s great; If not, that’s fine too, but either way we’ll spend time checking out your software engineering chops.
- Experience using Agile/Scrum/sprint methodology including planning and delivering against a “definition of done.”
- Deep debugging experience, and knowledge of the tools required to debug software quickly and effectively.
- An appreciation for the value of automated software testing.
- An appetite for beautiful and fluid user experiences, and the vigilance and detail-orientation required to bring them to fruition.
- Strong analytical and communication skills. We’re a small, distributed team with flexible working hours, so we need to be mindful about communication.
- A keen eye for identifying hidden complexity before it comes back to bite the team.
- A willingness to wear multiple hats, as needed, to get the job done.
- Experience writing native mobile apps in Objective-C/Swift and/or Java/Kotlin is a plus.
- Experience with backend/cloud/serverless technologies – Google Firebase & GCP, for the time being – are pulses as well.
- An opportunity to get in on the ground floor, as a key player, with commensurate equity.
- Industry-competitive Health, Dental, & Vision coverage.
- Flexible work schedule, including openness to alternate schedules (i.e. 4x10, etc).
- Remote-friendly (although some local presence may be required during on-boarding.)
- Unlimited PTO with a min. of 3 wks/yr (which your manager will badger you to take!)
- …and other benefits to come as we grow!
Equa is an Equal-Opportunity employer.