Time zones: CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
Are you excited about building better technologies? Is music an inspiration to you? Our Engineering teams strive to put forward a product to be proud of in the field of music exploration. You are an agile and seasoned Technical Lead Engineer ready to navigate the ever-changing technological landscape while inspiring and aiding a team to new heights. If this sounds like you, our engineering team is looking for you here at Discogs.
This is a remote position. Open to candidates located in OR, WA, CA, CO, TX, IL
Starting Base Salary Range: $145,000 - $150,000
Who We Are
Discogs is the largest crowd-sourced, community-driven database of recorded music information in the world. Every day, millions of people use the Discogs Marketplace to connect, learn about music, and buy and sell vinyl records, CDs, and cassettes. As Discogs continues to grow, we are looking for bright, dedicated, creative, and highly motivated people to help us realize our mission to serve the music fan in everyone. We are relatively small, so individual contributions can have a large impact. High value is placed on quality, critical thinking, and continuous improvement. Our teams work collaboratively but are distributed geographically and open-source tools are important to who we are and how we work. We value the experiences and skills each team member contributes to helping us serve our music community.
Who We’re Looking For
The Front End Technical Lead Engineer boasts extensive experience and holds a higher level of authority in comparison to engineers at lower levels. They demonstrate exceptional multitasking skills, effortlessly navigating across projects and adapting to various sections of the code, even in areas where they may lack prior experience. This position entails mentoring and providing assistance to engineers, fostering motivation, and encouraging collaboration within teams. This role has a high level of specialization in specific areas of technology that are unique within our company.
What You’ll Accomplish
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communicate openly and collaborate frequently with Product, UX, and Engineering teams to quickly deliver high quality products that maximize value to the Discogs ecosystem.
- Exemplify how to write and review code and act on data feedback to decide what to build next.
- Provide senior-level technical expertise in evaluation, conceptualization, design and development of features.
- Drive for continuous improvement in performance, scalability, extensibility, reliability, and usability of features.
- Research new frontiers, prototype implementations, and share knowledge.
- Coach and mentor other engineers while maintaining deep individual and team-level contributions.
- Maintain, rebuild, and adapt legacy codebases alongside modernizing our stack.
- Participate at a senior level in the breakdown of stories into technical design and implementation tasks and in sprint planning and other scrum methodologies, including estimation and prioritization of development efforts.
- Work with privacy and security teams to ensure proper architecture and maintenance.
- Follow accessibility practices in the development of software.
- Other duties as assigne
What You’ll Contribute
Minimum Experience and Education
Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of Front End Engineering and Architecture experience, a strong focus on leadership.
- Strong understanding of cross-browser and responsive CSS.
- Thorough understanding of interacting with GraphQL APIs.
- Exposure to CDN: Routing / workers / ESIs / caching. Cloudflare preferred.
- Experience leading technical/software initiatives.
- Experience working with an existing code base.
- Preference for Open Source software tools.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- 2+ years of working in Agile/Scrum/Kanban teams
- Experience with any of the following:
- Familiarity with server technologies: Node / Nginx
- Apollo Client
- Observability tools: DataDog, New Relic, e.g.
- Server-side rendering
- Cloud providers: AWS preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to re-usability and DRY principles.
What We Provide
- Competitive compensation: salary, plus performance-related bonus program
- 401(k) with employer match
- 100% company-paid medical and dental insurance benefits for you and your dependents
- 4 weeks paid vacation, increasing based on tenure
- 18 weeks paid leave for birth moms
- 8 weeks paid parental leave, including for adoption
- Monthly wellness allowance
- Annual professional and personal development allowance
- Work from home office set-up and expense allowances
- Flexible work location opportunities
- Employer matching toward charitable contributions
What We Believe In
Discogs’ mission is to serve the music fan in everyone. We represent a diverse and inclusive community, and we are committed to serving our community with innovative and creative solutions. We know that innovation happens best when varying perspectives are embraced and integrated. Our global team reflects our global community.
Discogs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Applicants needing accommodation to apply should contact us at 503-597-6340
If you apply for this role, you will be required to upload a resume, cover letter, and fill out a few questions regarding your application. Once submitted, our hiring team will review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview. Whether you are successful or not, we will store your application and data in our system for a maximum period of one year from the application date in case another role becomes available that you are suitable for. If you have any questions or concerns about us storing this data and/or the period of time, please contact us at [email protected] and we will respond to you within 30 days.