Product Designer (Remote)
Headquarters: Portland, OR
View all Customer.io jobs →
Hi, I’m Brian, Director of Product at Customer.io,
I’m looking for a Product Designer to join our team to help craft the future of Customer.io by taking the visual design of our interface to the next level. We want someone who, like us, takes pride in thoughtfully refining the many little design details that in combination produce exceptional usability and confidence for customers. Your strength is in the visual side of UI design—yet with our small nimble team, you’re eager to contribute across a full spectrum of experience design.
At Customer.io, design plays a central role in our product development process. Our product work is done by squads: small autonomous groups of product managers, engineers, and designers like you, focused on solving a customer problem. In addition to working on visual design across our app, you'll be an integral part of a squad focused on specific part of our product, helping to define and design the user experience.
What's Customer.io you may ask? We’re a globally distributed tech startup helping companies talk like people. Our customers are marketers, growth hackers, and engineers who are always dreaming up fresh ideas for how to be sincere and personal in their messages to customers. Unlike typical marketing platforms, we help businesses send meaningful messages based on what people do or don’t do when using a web or mobile app. We give our customers the superpower of sending and tracking phenomenal email, SMSs and push notifications. If you knew that already...amazing. If not, nice to meet you!
Sound like the next step in your career? Read on and apply!
P.S. Identify more as UX Designer? UI Designer? Don’t worry about it - let us know if you think this is the place for you.
As a Designer at Customer.io, you will:
- Design user interfaces for product features and partner with engineering to get them built.
- Continually amp up our visual style and UI patterns.
- Validate your designs directly with customers
- Assess customer usage patterns and remove roadblocks to successfully completing key tasks.
- Using both data and customer anecdotes to refine concepts for new features.
- Explore the latest design trends and promote them with our team
Who you will be collaborating with...
- Ivana, Sr. UI/UX Designer, to take features from concept to Customer.io! You’ll collaborate continually on distilling user feedback and fellow Amis’ feature pitches into customer goals, wireframes, and visual designs.
- Madeline, Product Designer, who is working craft our design language across the app by expanding our component library into a full-fledged design system.
- Brian, Director of Product, to determine what we need to build next for our customers. With Brian you’ll focus a lot on customer problems and outcomes in order to cultivate an iterative design-propelled team culture. Brian recently joined us from Adobe, after spending years building products for designers.
- 3 front-end engineers with a real passion for design and usability. They’ll be close partners: you’ll laugh together, you’ll cry together, you’ll do the best work of your lives together.
Who are you?
- You’re an excellent visual designer who enjoys working across the entire UX spectrum. Your heart breaks a little when you see an interface lacking a clear call-to-action or sense of hierarchy. And yes, the one pixel that brings things into alignment matters.
- Your north star is where simplicity, usability, and style intersect. You’re practiced in listening to customers, trying solutions iteratively, and measuring the results until you reach the solution that stabilizes all three elements.
- You’re hungry to learn, and you love to understand how things work under the hood. You thrive in technical conversations with engineers when needing to balance constraints with design goals.
- You’re gutsy and self-directed when it comes to problem-solving and working on multiple projects at once. You’re looking to work with a startup where you’ll be responsible for the impact you make and have a lot of freedom. Working with folks in different time zones will be standard issue for you around here, so being able to stay determined, even when the answers aren’t in front of you, is essential.
- You are a proactive communicator. You strive to be articulate and empathetic in your interactions and believe in “working out loud” to share work early and helpfully.
What valuable experience and skills will you bring to the table?
- You have app design experience (you’ve significantly contributed to at least one SaaS or mobile app).
- You have experience owning UI or UX for features on a product development team.
- You have directly worked with customers to validate feature interfaces.
- You’ve successfully partnered with engineers on projects and are confident in engaging on technical topics.
Bonus, but not required (shout about it in your application if you have experience)
- Marketing Technology and/or SaaS Company experience.
- Experience prototyping Interactions or UI Animation.
Why should you work with Customer.io?
Work at our head office in Portland, OR or anywhere in the world you want. We want to enable you to do your best work, and this is how we aim to do that:
Salary - We’re offering $90,000-$115,000 USD for this position, with flexibility for location and experience.
Equity - You'll own a piece of the company that you help create. You’ll be recognized for your
contributions by earning equity in the company.
Big Impact - Our team is small, but growing quickly. The work you do will materially impact how successful we are as a company.
Great Tools - Everyone in the company has an Apple computer and is given a budget for a motorized standing desk, Steelcase Leap office chair, external monitor, and anything else you'd like to get your job done.
Health Benefits - We pay 100% of your premiums for you and your family for medical, dental and vision and short and long-term disability.
Paid Parental & Medical Leave - Including adoption.
Retreats - We get our whole company together twice a year. We've had retreats in Barcelona, Romania, Hunter Mountain, Chicago, Iceland, and Portland, Oregon.
Vacation - Rest and recuperation are essential. We offer 4 weeks of paid vacation with flexibility for more.
At Customer.io, we’re committed to building a diverse environment and encourage minority applicants. So far, we have team members in France, Germany, Canada, Pakistan, India, Australia and all over the US. Our CEO and CTO grew up in Singapore and Arkansas respectively but met in New York City. Our company culture is always evolving; people from different backgrounds bring a valued perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we foster.
Customer.io provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Customer.io complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Basically, we follow the law, but also like you for who you are!
Apply for this position
Come Join Us! Apply via the link below, and make sure you tell us why you’re interested in the position! We’ve added a few questions that will also help us understand how you think. http://bit.ly/2N6JTy9