We’re looking for engineering managers to manage, lead, mentor, and coach our engineering teams.
We need your technical knowledge and expertise to support the progression of our engineers. You will work closely with the Engineering Director to build and develop high performing, inclusive, and happy cross functional teams.
Engineering Management is new at Car & Classic so you’ll be in the perfect position to have an outsized multiplicative impact by helping build the frameworks, structures, and processes that foster an effective engineering organisation.
You’ll spend around 70% of your time focused fully on people, and the other 30% on broader technical initiatives with Senior Software Engineers.
About us 🚗
Car & Classic helps people across the globe buy and sell their dream vehicles safely. We’re committed to uplifting the entire industry by making transacting specialist vehicles safe, easy and enjoyable.
Car & Classic has a loyal user base which has built the largest selection of classic cars on sale, on any website, anywhere in the world.
Despite being an entirely distributed business we build strong connections as colleagues and have created a fun and high performing culture.
The business is growing fast. 🚀 We’re well funded and backed by leading investors. The team is 60~ people now and we expect to double over the next 12 months.
You don’t have to love cars to work here (and lots of our team don’t) but for those who do this is an incredible opportunity to combine your passion and professional lives – we look forward to hearing from you.
About you 😎
- You are an effective team leader. You have experience managing teams of full stack software engineers building user-focused products. You know how to onboard, and develop people from all backgrounds. You might not be a hiring pro, but you have hired, trained and managed engineers before.
- You balance product & engineering. You previously worked as an engineer at a senior level. You’ve worked to set goals and a strategy for product-focused teams and are able to prioritise user impacting features alongside technical initiatives.
- You are an excellent communicator. You’re able to work cross functionally, adapting your approach based on the situation in collaboration with your partners in Product and Design. Your written communication is great, and you recognise the importance of over-communicating with context in a distributed world.
- You care & lift others up. And you know caring is not about being nice to a fault. You care about the team. About the business. About the product. About people achieving their goals and becoming the best they can be. Because you care, you lean into those difficult conversations.
What you get (remuneration & benefits)
- Salary between £65, 000 and £72, 000 dependent on experience 💰
- Stock options 📈
- All the equipment you need to get the job done 💻
- Flexible working - work where and when you want in order to get the job done 🌍
- Access to free counselling, therapy and mental health support via Spill 🤗
- Professional development allowance 🚄
- Company paid team retreats 🧘♂️
- Generous parental leave 👶
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) 🏝
- Ability to make your mark on a fast-growing start-up 🚀
The skills, attributes and experience you must have:
- Experience managing the performance and development of high-performing engineers at a scaling startup
- Built a happy high-performing distributed team based on trust and outcomes
Bonus points if:
- You have experience with PHP and/or Laravel
- You love asynchronous communication
Please know that this list is indicative. We’re looking for awesome humans even if you are only a 60% match. Skills can be learnt, awesomeness generally can’t.
What to expect
We have a non-standard application process designed to promote inclusion and equality.
Every role is crucial to us at this stage of our growth. We are improving and evolving our application process continually to offer the best candidate experience. We are trying to remove any bias from our recruitment process because we believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in.
To help achieve this we have refined our application form. The answers to the questions are the difference between your application being progressed or not so please do give them your time and effort when answering. The first thing our Talent Partner will review is these questions (we may not even need to review your CV depending on your answers).
Car & Classic is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical, mental disability, or age.