Active Theory is an award-winning, independent creative studio. We make some of the highest quality digital experiences for clients around the world, and we are growing.
We care about creating never seen before interactive experiences on the web for world class clients. We're constantly asking ourselves what a digital experience can be.
We remain deeply committed to our philosophies and are looking for like-minded people from around the world who want to learn and play like we do.
If this resonates with you, please reach out.
The Backend Developer will architect, prototype, scope and develop backend components for various digital experiences created by Active Theory.
This person will manage cloud infrastructure on GCP that scale, will support live events to ensure server resources are running smoothly, are load tested and optimized for expected traffic.
Reports to: Technical Director
Collaborates Most Closely With: mid to senior level frontend developers, designers, 3D artists, producers
Direct Reports: n/a
Active Theory welcomes applicants located outside of our LA and Amsterdam offices.
For this role, West coast working hours are required regardless of location.
Permanent, full time (40 hours/week).
Freelance candidates will be considered.
Salary based on experience (mid to senior level only, please). Immediate start.
- 3 years minimum developing secure, scalable, production-ready web applications in Node.js
- demonstrated understanding of multiplayer and asynchronous concepts, state management and data flows
- experience planning technical approach and developing custom integrations as required — such as with payments, CRM, ticketing, and CMS systems such as Sanity.io.
- demonstrated passion for cutting edge digital technologies
- high functioning individual, with minimal oversight
- design and implement database schemas for maintainability, performance and scale
- manage projects of widely varying requirements - particularly of a creative and technical nature
- learn, champion and build upon our backend framework, Medusa, to continually improve functionality and maintain a library of reusable models.
- ability to independently manage your time, particularly within a remote work environment
Intimate: Node.js, Google Cloud Platform and services, including Firebase - Compute Engine, Cloud Firestore, Firebase Realtime Database, Cloud Functions
- Active Theory is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- To apply for this position, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put job title in subject line.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will only be contacting candidates who are being actively considered for a position.
- Company sponsored medical plans (100% premium paid for employee), group term life & long term disability
- 401(k) plan with employer match + immediate vesting