We are Upkey -- a Chicago-based EdTech startup with the mission to level the playing field and close the opportunity gap for students.
We believe that by using cutting-edge technology and superior design and user experience, we can deliver powerful and life-changing learning experiences to millions of students around the world.
Even though our HQ is in Chicago, we are mostly virtual and have an amazing team of ~20 in the US and around the world.
As our company continues to grow and to serve tens of thousands of students across the world, we would love to improve our product and ensure it is THE BEST in class.
The User Experience and Design Lead position is a pivotal role in serving this mission. As an early member of a growing company, you’ll enjoy a great deal of autonomy, creativity, and opportunity to lead and make meaningful contributions.
You are a talented designer who consistently delivers visuals and interactions of the highest quality on timelines that would be unrealistic for many others. You take pride in your creative vision, execution and communication skills. You are a strong individual contributor, but also a team player. You enjoy taking ownership of full products, and are stifled by large design organizations.
You get a rush from seeing your designs live in the real world.
• Lead design projects across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches
• Work with small multi-disciplinary teams. You’ll partner closely with engineering, and business folks to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges
• Be autonomous. You’ll take full ownership of your work, and you take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way
• Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes
• 3+ year of experience designing consumer and mobile products
• Had ownership of many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to create awesome, consumer-oriented experiences
• Biased toward action and execution. You get nervous if you’re not sketching concepts, tweaking flows or polishing the designs that represent the big-thinking work
• Great communication skills that help you work with product and engineering to make product visions come to life
• Constantly looking to hone your design instinct through user feedback. Whether through hands-on user research, or by designing options for an A/B test
• You have an online portfolio or PDF that you can share with us
- Fun and creative environment
- Working directly with senior management
- Significant potential to grow with the company
- Starting Salary range : $1800 - $2400 (depending on experience)
- 15%-25% Bonus / Salary increase within 6-9 months