Time zones: SBT (UTC +11)
, GMT (UTC +0)
, CET (UTC +1)
, EET (UTC +2)
, MSK (UTC +3)
Software Engineer Cloud DevOps
“One of the things that sets us apart is that we use truly modern technologies. For instance, we use the cloud in a cutting-edge way, with all of our cloud in code. This is considered the new frontier and, frankly, the future” - Bart Römgens, one of Samotics' lead software engineers
At Samotics, we develop AI-based predictive analytics for industrial machinery. The Infrastructure team is looking for a high-performing software engineer to continue improving our cloud infrastructure, automation processes and data science pipelines, as well as optimize our data security.
For this role, we are looking for a mid- to senior software engineer—we typically find that 3 years of full-time experience are a minimum to hit the ground running. If you have less experience but are a high-performing and high-potential software engineer, we would still love to get you know.
Globally, 300 million industrial electric motors power the global economy while consuming 30% of all energy produced. These motors face three critical problems: they fail unexpectedly, are often operated inefficiently and selected inadequately. This leads to high costs of unplanned downtime and massive energy waste.
At Samotics, we are passionate about solving these problems with a unique, AI-driven solution that lets industrial companies reduce downtime and cut back on their energy usage. Our unique technology is used by many of the most successful and innovative industrial companies.
We are a high-growth company (>100% revenue growth per year) with a diverse, international team working out of our brand-new office in Leiden, The Netherlands. We aim to hire only the very best talent that can scale with us as we deploy our technology across the globe.
What you will do
Core areas you will work on as a senior cloud DevOps engineer - IaC:
- Support and improve the company’s cloud infrastructure—we are heavy users of AWS, using 20+ services
- Support and improve automation processes, using Terraform and Python—our main tools to manage the AWS cloud infrastructure
- Propose, design and implement security improvements
- Support and improve data science pipelines
- Support and optimize the daily deployment of new software versions
How we work
The development team uses its own simple, practical, and functional methodology, allowing you to fully focus on software engineering without having to switch tasks. You will work based on the principle of freedom and responsibility. We take pride in combining professionalism, trust, and very few meetings.
The development team
The software engineering team currently consists of 9 experienced developers working on a large architecture covering a wide domain, from signal processing on our edge devices through dashboarding for different user groups. Continuous improvement and daily deployments are at the heart of the high level of quality we deliver. The data infrastructure team sits within the software engineering department and plays a key role there, while also interacting daily with the data science team and the head of product.
Since we work on cutting-edge technology, we use an up-to-date stack:
- Python to orchestrate our infrastructure
- AWS—we’re using a broad range of AWS services (20+).
- The team prefers to use Linux distributions for their development environments
What we offer
- A competitive salary
- Ability to work 100% remotely
- Ability to work part time (4 days)
- Access to a wide range of learning programs
- Generous parental leave
- A brand-new, custom-designed office (with 90% recycled materials) at a three-minute walk from Leiden Central Station
- Daily fresh lunches and healthy snacks when working in the office
- The chance to work on cutting-edge technology that affects industry worldwide
- A high-performing software engineering team
- A fun and professional company culture based on the principle of freedom and responsibility
- Proficiency in coding in Python or another major programming language
- Experience building and improving high-quality CI/CD processes using e.g. Jenkins
- Solid experience with the AWS suite of services or similar (e.g. Azure, GCP)
- Demonstrated ability to design excellent solutions, by using available technology in a creative and elegant way
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment where production deployments take place multiple times a day
- Keen on experimenting with and implementing new technologies
- Truly owning the job, and the responsibilities that come with it—taking initiative and demonstrating sound judgment
Qualified candidates for this position might have one of the following professional backgrounds—but not limited to:
- DevOps / CI/CD: a specialist in CI/CD, with solid experience in DevOps, combined with AWS experience (preferred) or similar (Azure, GCP). Excellent coding skills, preferably in Python
- Backend development: An experienced backend software engineer with excellent coding skills preferably in Python, as well as AWS knowledge (preferred) or similar, combined with up-to-date knowledge on security
- Site reliability engineer (SRE): with proficiency in coding in Python