, we provide the best tooling for developers to build custom digital commerce applications. In under three years, we have become the most popular open-source ecommerce project available. Ahead of us is a massive opportunity to become the world’s leading commerce framework, and we're looking for a new engineer to join us in achieving this goal.
Medusa had its first commit in 2020, raised the first round of capital in 2021, and became the largest open-source ecommerce project on GitHub last year. Today, Medusa counts an 8k developer community, has crossed +1M npm downloads, and has raised $9M in funding. Yet, we are only just getting started.
Until now, our 15-person remote team has been fully focused on developing a suite of open-source backend modules for core commerce logic such as carts, customers, products, and order management. These have been adopted by thousands of developers from high-impact companies in over 40 countries.
The next big product leap is building the foundational layer for our future monetization mechanism with our upcoming orchestration and workflow tooling. You will play a central role in shaping and developing this new product area.
Building our commerce orchestration engine
Today’s commerce stacks are often complex and span multiple systems that each play a role in serving the end-customer experience. Yet, most companies are left on their own to build the middleware that orchestrates and coordinates actions across these systems. We want to change this.
Our next major goal is to develop an orchestration engine that allows companies to seamlessly coordinate and control workflows across multiple systems, which may include our commerce modules or their own systems.
This orchestration engine will manage complex workflows with transactions spanning several potentially distributed services. Working directly with our founding team, you will help shape how we structure some of the core parts of this new product domain and own implementation of these parts end-to-end.
Examples of what you could build
- A transaction orchestrator managing atomic operations across distributed services.
- A workflow builder to define and build the steps in a distributed transaction.
- A query engine to read, filter, and sort data living in distributed data stores.
- A product module that includes all business logic related to product information.
- A conditional pricing engine to calculate prices based on dynamic contexts.
Who you are
- You have worked for +5 years with backend engineering, Node.js and Postgres.
- You absolutely love a good developer experience.
- You can navigate ambiguity and changing priorities that exist in a startup.
- You always provide candid feedback to colleagues and are receptive to the same.
- You comfortably lead projects end-to-end.
Working at Medusa
Medusa is a 100% remote organization with a team distributed across European and US East Coast time zones. We are a small team of 15 people that moves fast. In your role, you will be exploring a new, exciting product area of Medusa and working closely with our founding team to shape it. This means you need to be comfortable under uncertainty and be ready to take up a lot of responsibility from day one.
What you get
- Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications.
- Generous options package as an early team member - best 10% among peers.
- Autonomous work. You control when and where you work.
- Fully paid WFH setup and support of other amenities.
- Two off-sites per year.
- Health coverage in the US.
What we value
- Hard work: We are tackling the problems that no one else in our space has dared to. At Medusa, you’ll work hard to solve some of the most complex challenges in engineering.
- Great work: We build exceptional tools so other companies can build exceptional products. Everyone in our organization is passionate about our mission and eager to deliver their best work.
- Collaborative work: We help our colleagues succeed. Give candid feedback. Tell them what they did right and what they can do better. Only this way can we improve.
If you are interested in joining our small, hard-working, and passionate team, please send your CV and application to [email protected]
Let's build a generational company together.