Day in the Life Of the Remote Worker: Nadia Rozental
Justine Shu / May 24, 2019
This spotlight illustrates how each remote worker finds freedom and productivity in their everyday life, in their unique way. Want to be featured? Send us a note at email@example.com.
Name: Nadia Rozental
Current Job: Mid-Market Marketing Lead at Sprout Social
Current Location: Vancouver, BC
Current Computer: MacBook Air
Current mobile devices: iPhone 8
What does your typical workday look like?
I wake up around 6/6.30am - my alarm is set for 7am but I almost never need it. I listen to the podcast Up first and check my emails and Slack. Since Sprout's HQ is in Chicago (2 hours ahead of me), I wake up to a few messages, so I respond to anything that needs immediate attention.
- 7.30am: My husband and I share a daily walk to grab a coffee or smoothie. We like to change it up and try new places when we can. This helps me make sure that I get some steps in before I get into work mode.
- 8/8.30am: I go over my inbox and prioritize my day based on the Sprint board we share as a team. Sometimes I work from a co-working space just to change it up and to be around people.
- 9am-1.30pm: this time usually is filled with standup, meetings and emails. No day is ever the same for me, which I absolutely love. Since most of my colleagues are in Chicago, this is the perfect time to talk to them before they enter our daily "Focus Time" (at everyone's local 4pm)
- 1.30pm: lunch! Some weeks I order lunch boxes from a vegan meal delivery service, but I make sure I keep some days to meet a friend or walk to get something to eat. Getting out of the apartment is key for me.
- 2.30-5pm: back to work and this time is my focus time. Many of my colleagues finish their days around this time since they are 2 or 3 hours ahead, so I get to do my individual work here like writing briefs, strategy, research, you name it!
- 5pm-7pm: around this time I squeeze a workout. I alternate between yoga, spin and a TRX/fitness class.
- 7pm-9.30/10pm: I make dinner or meet my husband for a bite or a drink somewhere. We like to spend some time together either reading or watching a show. I go to sleep pretty early, around 9.30/10pm.
Describe your workspace setup:
We moved to a new apartment a few months ago. I used to work from a little nook in the living room and now I have my own office! I kept it very simple, with just a desk and a comfortable chair. I have a monitor and a trackpad. I do have the most amazing view of the mountains that people love to see when they chat with me.
What do you listen to while you work? Spotify all day! I have a very diverse taste in music, from Argentinian classics to cool new music on Release Radar, chanting (helps me relax and focus), opera, you name it! I'm listening to Bowie as I write this!
Aside from your phone and computer, name a gadget you can’t live without in your workspace: I love my essential oil diffuser. Crazy how certain smells can make us feel, right? Highly recommend having different blends at hand. My favorites right now are Saje's goddess blend and Vitruvi Lemon + Peppermint.