Day in the Life Of the Remote Worker: Mike Cann
Justine Shu / May 16, 2019
This spotlight illustrates how each remote worker finds freedom and productivity in their everyday life, in their unique way. Want to be featured? Send us a note at email@example.com.
Name: Mike Cann
Current Job: Co-founder and CTO of Markd
Current Location: Perth Australia
Current Computer: Custom Built Windows PC (64gb, 8700K, GTX 970)
Current mobile devices: iPhone XS Max, some smaller devices for testing
What does your typical workday look like?
- 7 am - Wake, shower, some stretches
- 7:30 am - Start work with a cup of tea (I don't eat breakfast). First thing is to "stand up" in our slack and announce what I’m going to work on during the day.
- 8 am - 12 pm - Work on whatever tasks I set myself for the day.
- 12 pm - 1 pm - Usually like to make myself a packed lunch and get out of the house, cycle to a park or somewhere, listen to some podcasts.
- 1 pm - 4pm - More work. If it’s kiting season I might go out kite surfing in the late afternoon.
- 4 pm - 5 pm - Either Skype call with my co-founder in the UK or more work.
- 5 pm - 9:30 pm - Downtime and dinner spent with my GF, maybe a game of squash or a meetup.
Describe your workspace setup: Triple monitor (on stands) setup in front of a large window that looks out into the communal pool area. My desk is in our living room which is both a blessing and a curse.
What do you listen to while you work? Usually progressive / deep house dj mixes I have listened to 100 times before. I find the familiarity of the mellow deep beats relaxes my brain and allows me to get into flow faster. Some of my favourites at the moment are Blugazer's _Illusionary Images.
Aside from your phone and computer, name a gadget you can’t live without in your workspace: Fitbit Versa Smartwatch. I have a group of friends on there that compete against each other for more steps. It’s a good psychological bump to get outside and move more.