Wirecutter is seeking an Engineering Manager for our growing technical department to build, grow, and manage our new Delivery team. The team will be made up of a collaborative group of talented, strategic, and innovative engineers that work to enable our product engineers to deliver business value faster. Delivery is tasked with removing friction from the development and deployment of product features, creatively solving problems, building tooling and automation, evangelising best practices with pragmatism, stewardship of our shared applications and infrastructure, capturing and reporting productivity metrics, and consulting for product teams on complex technical problems.
About the Role
- This is a management-track position which reports to the Director of Engineering. Previous experience as the direct manager of software engineers or devops engineers is required.
- Initially, our Delivery team will have 2-3 software and devops engineering positions for you to fill. A majority of your first few months will be consumed with recruiting, hiring, and ramping up this new team.
- There will be 3-4 engineers on the Delivery team by the end of 2018. You have direct HR responsibility for the engineers on the Delivery team.
- As opportunities arise, you may also work across another product development team and/or take on additional direct reports. Engineering Managers typically have between 5-7 direct reports by their first year.
- Our engineering and project teams are distributed across the U.S. and Canada, so that you can cultivate a best-in-class team. You will recruit and hire talented software engineers and facilitate onboarding of new team members.
- Ultimately, an engineer’s success within an autonomous cross-functional team (and beyond) is a measure of your success as a leader and mentor. You will actively coach engineers on their day-to-day work and along their career path, conduct regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluate their performance quarterly—setting actionable goals that help them grow and evolve.
- Engineering Managers at Wirecutter play a small part in the hands-on process of building software, but a very large part in orchestrating engineers to achieve great results. A technical background is required in order to be a good counsel and advocate for engineering. Do not expect to be contributing production-facing code on a regular basis.
Additionally, you will:
- Drive your team’s narrative; this means everything from sending incident reports with lessons learned when things go wrong to sharing successes and metrics when things go well.
- Be accountable for the impact, decisions, and members of the Delivery team.
- Define and prioritize the team’s roadmap in collaboration with project, engineering teams, data, and product.
- Collaborate with your Project partner to communicate status, risks and requirements to impacted stakeholders, other engineering teams, your peers, and technical leadership.
- Commission an Architectural Review Board to consult, educate, and be the advocate for scalable and maintainable architectural decisions.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Wirecutter’s engineering management team.
- You have at least a couple of years of engineering management experience; including setting goals and crafting growth or continuous improvement plans for your team members.
- You are technically proficient and have a background in building and scaling applications and/or environments.
- You understand the typical benefits and trade-offs associated with microservices architecture, cloud computing services (AWS, GCP, etc), containerization, smart-clustering, continuous deployments, cache management, and automation.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about what you do, and use that to help motivate diverse groups.
- You believe a great manager can lead a team to achieve more than the sum of its members.
- You lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping others do their best work.
- You find immense value in the success of your team.
- You are thoughtful, clear, and persuasive in writing and in person.
- You have experience advocating for your technical team members and steering multiple stakeholders when needed.
- You are excited to play a pivotal role in Wirecutter’s mission, innovation, and growth.
- Ideally, you’ve managed or worked with distributed, or hybrid, teams.
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: Just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, we create straightforward recommendations that save readers unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Wirecutter was recently acquired by, and is now a subsidiary of, The New York Times Company. As part of the acquisition, The Times is investing in Wirecutter to accelerate its business through editorial category expansion, development of more robust product features, and unlocking of new revenue streams.
Even with offices in New York City and Los Angeles, Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture, and open to employing people across the country (and in Canada!). Right now, we are eligible to hire in CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, VA, or WA. If you live outside of these states but are still interested in working with Wirecutter, you are welcome to apply, and we will keep your information on file for future opportunities.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Apply for this position
Please apply directly via: https://nytimes.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Wirecutter/job/New-York-NY/Engineering-Manager_REQ-003575