Senior Backend Engineer
Headquarters: Austin, Texas
Visit company website
View all Waldo Photos jobs
At Waldo, it is our mission to help our users “Live the Moment”. Backed by market leading AI based algorithms, we deliver families their most valued memories, captured by others, right to their phones. Waldo Photos is a photo finding platform utilizing facial and object recognition to empower people to toss their selfie sticks, put their phones back in their pockets and live in the moment. Waldo is the only platform that removes all of the friction in delivering photos of friends and loved ones taken by others and creates new opportunities for photographers to market and sell their photos.
Why Work for Waldo?
Waldo is in rapid growth mode--adding users, increasing revenue, expanding into existing markets, and making entries into new verticals! To meet that growth we are looking to double our development team in the coming year. We want teammates who want to be empowered to take ownership over the technology and features that drive Waldo-- and to see their impact to the team and our users directly on a daily basis.
What You’ll Do:
As a Senior Software Engineer for the platform team, you will be critically responsible for the core server platform which provides the backbone for the product. On any given day you will:
- Own, design, implement and collaborate on complete features from initial idea to deployment.
- Release new code to production multiple times a week.
- Work within a distributed, event based service oriented architecture using tools such as Docker, RabbitMQ, Cassandra, Kafka, AWS, etc and purpose oriented languages like Python, Java and Node.
- Understand and improve the scalability, reliability and performance of the platform through measurement, observation and testing.
- Troubleshoot production issues within the platform and potentially provide quick resolution and feedback through our rapid release cycles and capabilities.
- Help support a continuous delivery DevOps culture through automation, testing and standard practices.
- Educate and learn through documentation, code reviews and design discussions.
- Collaborate with the larger dev team to improve our practices, procedures, and standards.
About the Dev Team
We are a tight-knit, fully-remote development team spanning the world. Every member is critical to our mission and success and can draw a direct line to their everyday work and elevating the Waldo product. We are looking for independent problem-solvers who value learning, enjoy keeping current on technology trends, and crave the ownership, autonomy and accountability that is expected from early-stage team members. This is a perfect opportunity for you if you:
- Are passionate about our mission of making it easier for people to be connected with their photos, experiences and loved ones.
- Want the opportunity to have a direct and highly-visible impact onshaping a product and elevating the user-experience each and every day
- Seek a role where your contributions extend beyond the technical-- and are excited about incorporating feedback and working with colleagues in Sales, Customer Operations, and Product Design
- Feel energized and motivated by the challenge of creating something new (and changing)
- Bring enthusiasm to working with a cutting-edge, state-of-the-art tech stack
- Feel passionate about quality through writing clean, elegant, simple, performant, testable code (as well as the tests to prove it!)
- Work best in a highly-independent and autonomous environment where you are measured and valued by your output instead of your hours.
- Want to work wherever in the world you want to work as part of a fully remote development team
- Enjoy working in a collaborative development environment through open developer discourse, design discussions, code reviews, etc.
While we're based in Austin, Texas we have team members across the globe. We are in need of a full-time commitment but open to remote, international, or contract arrangements.
- Senior engineer / team lead, ~ 6+ years experience with at least 3 years focused primarily on the backend.
- Built and shipped complex, high-performance, highly-available distributed systems.
- Strong background in Python or strong background in Java(or similar) with experience with Python.
- Ability to thrive in a small team, high autonomy environment.
- Experience with pull requests, code reviews, automated unit testing.
- Leader / Mentor.
- Previous remote working experience or equivalent self directed experience
- Experience within a DevOps culture and prior responsibility over a live, deployed system.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting a live distributed system through logs, metrics, tracing, etc.
- Experience with docker and/or Kubernetes.
- Experience with continuous delivery practices and patterns.
- Experience with varied data stores such as Postgres, Cassandra, Redis.
- Experience with AWS or equivalent cloud platform.
- Experience with cloud-native application development, tools and patterns.
- Experience with distributed message based architectures and systems and associated messaging tools such as Kafka or RabbitMQ.
- Experience / strong interest in design and application of machine learning based algorithms.
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience / comfortable with full stack development.
- Flexible schedule with the ability to work remote from anywhere in the world
- Flexible vacation
- Market competitive compensation + EQUITY
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.