21874 Ruby Software Engineer
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for supporting the IT needs of UC Irvine faculty, students, and staff. Our mission is to provide information technology leadership, services, and innovative solutions to promote the research, education and community service goals of the University. Our team delivers innovative Ruby on Rails solutions for UC Irvine and the broader University of California system via Software as a Service delivery and other models. You’ll be working with a small Agile team building and scaling Ruby on Rails applications to support recruitment, appointment, merit review, promotion, and other Academic Personnel processes. The University of California is one of the largest public university systems in the country, comprising 10 campuses, a combined student body of 280,000 students, 227,000 faculty and staff, and 2.0 million alumni living and working around the world.
*** ON SITE - HYBRID - 100% REMOTE WORK OPTIONS BASED ON YOUR PREFERENCE ***
Employee Class: Contract
This is a one year contract appointment position with the possibility of additional year contract appointment extensions. Per the University of California (UC) recruitment policy, because this position has undergone competitive recruitment, this position can be converted to career status any time after hire, as conversion meets criteria set by UC recruitment policy and the needs of the Office of Information Technology department.
This position is direct hire, W2 employment with the University of California, Irvine directly and the select employee will participate in group benefits including wellness insurance, accrued vacation/holiday/sick days, and retirement options.
Compensation Range: Commensurate with experience
- Develops complex web applications and related integrations, APIs, automated test suites, and automated jobs, and ETL processing.
- Translate customer requirements into User Stories, Acceptance Criteria, and software design. Develops software that demonstrably meets Acceptance Criteria with good test code coverage.
- Maintain high software quality. Ensure all dependent libraries and tools are patched. Resolve security vulnerabilities detected through automated tools or reported by software vendors. Resolve performance, reliability, functionality, and usability issues in a timely manner. Monitor and respond to system outages during business hours and after hours. Discuss quality issues with the team and propose remediation plans. Partner with the Enterprise Infrastructure team to design, maintain, and expand AWS infrastructure in response to user and application needs.
- Provide engineer-level technical support for complex user issues or other issues requiring elevated system access. Develop reports and data extracts per request using tools or custom-developed software. Analyze system usage, trends, and feature adoption in an effort to continually improve our software.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Minimum of three years of web application development experience using a modern framework Minimum of two years of Ruby on Rails application development experience
- Minimum of two years of MySQL, Postgres, or similar relational database experience.
- Experience working directly with customers or end-users.
- Experience developing code-driven automated tests such as unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Experience using Git version control system.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and launch secure Ruby on Rails applications.
- Demonstrated ability to apply object oriented principles such as SOLID to large codebases.
- Demonstrated ability to develop code-driven automated tests such as unit, functional, or integration tests.
- Intermediate knowledge of secure software development.
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs and translate into user stories, acceptance criteria, and software design.
- Verifies delivered software meets customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with customers, team, and management.
- Ability to provide clear, concise, and effective technical assistance to support and operations team members.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and incorporate open source or vendor tools/libraries that reduce maintenance or enable new functionality.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and effective at working as part of an Agile / Scrum team.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated broad problem solving skills.
- Ability to review code written by other developers and provide effective feedback.
- Experience receiving code review feedback.
- Ability to mentor and provide effective development guidance to other software developers.
- Adhere to OIT’s cultural values: Collaboration, Respect, Trust, Transparency, Quality, Inclusiveness, Customer Centricity, and Learning and Growth.
Final Candidate subject to background check. As a federal contractor, UC Irvine is required to use E-Verify to confirm the work status of individuals assigned to perform substantial work under certain federal contracts/subcontracts.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500.