We are looking for an experienced Senior Backend Engineer to be a part of one of our cross-functional teams to help us shape the future of the time tracking industry and deliver real value to our customers with both new and improved features.
The salary for this position is €70,000 annually.
You can work from anywhere in the world.
About the Team
We are a global team of 100+ awesome people working from over 40 countries around the globe. We hire globally, you work locally—in the heart of London, a beach outside of São Paulo, or a quiet village near Florence, the choice is yours. Every few months we travel to meet up somewhere in the world and spend some quality time together. We place a huge amount of trust in our people, and we measure the outcomes rather than the work itself. Our values
fuel our results.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be taking ownership of one or more domains of our product and will work closely with other Backend and Frontend engineers using cutting-edge open source frameworks to highly-available RESTful services and back-end systems.
The main technologies you will be working with are Go, PostgreSQL and Google Cloud Infrastructure. Even though you can work whenever you want on your tasks, our team meetings can happen between 11:00 to 15:00 UTC. You need to be willing and available to attend these meetings when they happen
Your main responsibilities will be:
- developing, scaling and maintaining some of our backend services including the API, reports and other infrastructure services that manage our product and logistics worldwide
- working with multiple teams day to day to bring more value to Toggl’s users, covering customer-facing web and native applications and public APIs
- designing, breaking down, and completing projects of a medium to large scope with high-level productivity
- looking for technical problems of existing system/product without guidance and offering solutions
- leading projects with a small group of people, such as hosting weekly meetings, communicating with other partners and stakeholders
We would love to hear from you if you strive to solve technical problems of high scope and complexity and have long-standing experience programming in Go.
In particular, we are looking for:
- Strong backend engineering experience in Go;
- Significant professional experience with distributed systems, PostgreSQL, and Google Cloud Infrastructure;
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation);
- Experience with performance and optimisation problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems;
- Ability to work cross-teams and improve cross-functional relationships which will facilitate ongoing projects;
- Eagerness to make contributions to improve the engineering team. For example, activities like interviewing, or mentoring;
- Mentor and grow junior engineers;
- Ability to give on-point and actionable feedback to peers;
- Effective communication skills: regularly achieve consensus with peers and clear status updates;
- Collaborate across the company to define, design, build and improve our product;
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is required for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment;
Bonus points for:
- Having full-stack experience;
- Experience with data warehouse and analytics systems
- Experiences with Kubernetes at scale
- Experience with system architecture at scale
- Freedom to choose when and how much you work - we only measure results
- 24 days of paid time off a year, plus your local holidays
- In-person meetups for team-building (expenses covered)
- 4-6 weeks paid sabbatical (depending on the tenure)
- Laptop budget up to €2,500 and it renews every 3 years
- €2,000 budget to set up your home office, and additional €300 every year after 3 years of tenure
- €250 per month for co-working space membership and/or internet service at home
- €4,000 per year contribution to use for training, workshops, and conferences
- €2,000 per year contribution for any equipment or services to improve and/or maintain your physical and mental health
- Support for buying tools you need for doing your best work (even eyeglasses if you need a new pair)