The Class (www.theclass.com
) is a global wellness brand innovating in the space of mental fitness. We seek a full stack developer to join our growing engineering team to enhance the tools of our core consumer facing digital wellness platform: https://digitalstudio.theclass.com/Job Description:
- Develop front and backend components to power the next iteration of our platform (big leaps taking place in the next 18 months).
- Contribute to The Class’ technology strategy by helping to:
- Pick ponies on components and 3rd party tech to integrate
- Help us define and prove out what tech to buy, rent, or write as we evolve and grow
- Collaborate with a tight team of experienced wellness professionals to move the business forward.
- Working on an enterprise level subscription based product is not new to you.
- You have deep, hands-on experience in engineering digital video solutions at scale.
- Subscription management systems, payment processing, digital rights management, data privacy and security (all on a global scale) are the foundational backend bricks here. Developing frontend-facing features and functionality rooted in meeting the very specific needs of our global audience on the platforms we have now and will have...are the legos. You know how to mix the bricks with the legos.
- These are the technologies we’re playing with:
- Frontend: React (Next.js + Typescript)
- Backend: Node.js (NestJS + Fastify)
- CSS: TailwindCSS
- DB: Postgres + Prisma + Redis
- Native: Ionic/Capacitor
- You understand “technical debt.” You have been on projects where someone got carried away with a feature set at the detriment of long term agility and/or keeping an eye on the prize. You have x-ray vision for prognosticating operational burn, created by well-intentioned business people who don’t think things through or didn’t think to consult someone like you before breaking ground.
- You think data is great, but that it is not everything. You believe in magic...and supporting/vetting magic with data-driven methodologies.
- You are human. We need and want people who are thoughtful, candid, and humble. It’s important in a “we’re not just saying it’s important because it sounds nice” way. Our mission is literally to help people feel better (in their bodies and their minds). It matters.
- You have a high EQ and like working with people who believe having a strong one is important.
- You want to work at a place where engineering concerns are present AT the table of where strategy is born and plans are made (and not 6 months down the road) because YOU are sitting at that table.
- You can talk to UI/UX people, product people, and marketing people with close to as much comfort and calm as your fellow engineers.
- You embrace a culture of transparency and collaboration. One where bad news is not just welcomed, but escorted through the corridors of the office with a police escort, a high school band, and confetti.
- If you have worked on the front lines in any business where your role was primarily customer-facing, that’s a big plus. Our business is intensely focused on our community and customer service (and just knowing and understanding what it means to “have a customer”) is core to what we do.
- You like and respect what comes from working on a diverse team of human beings, all of whom bring something different in their approach, personality, background, and experience. We embrace diversity in all things we do.
If you are interested, please apply with a resume, a link or links to some of your work, and a note written by a human being (ostensibly you) to another human being (me).
I’m the COO at this place but definitely not a member of an “HR department” so I encourage you to tell me who you are. I value candor above all else (except maybe koala bear cuddling). I would love to hear from you in YOUR voice as opposed to reading something that feels like what a “hiring manager” would typically “need to hear” in a job application. Be yourself. The truth is the easiest thing to remember and I don’t have tons of time to weed through cover-letter-speak to find out who you really are. Just tell me.
The Class provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you!