Coach & Editor for Grad School Admissions Bootcamp
The Art of Applying
Headquarters: New York, NY (formerly Austin, TX)
View all The Art of Applying jobs →
Write, Teach, Edit, Encourage, and Coach Grad School Applicants to Success
Position: Full-Time Instructor & Coach for The Art of Applying's Application Accelerator program (full-time remote employment)
Compensation: $50,000-$70,000 + bonuses for achieving outstanding client results
Note: Compensation is comprised of $36,000 base pay + variable pay based on number of clients you work directly with as their primary instructor. Bonuses for achieving outstanding client results are in addition to figures listed above.
The $50,000 figure is the approximate pay for working with 5 new clients per month; the $70,000 figure is the approximate pay for working with 10 new clients per month. Because graduate admissions is very seasonal, the workload varies throughout the year with 5 being on the low side of new clients per month.
Vacation: 20 paid vacation days
Work hours: Monday - Friday 10 am - 7 pm Eastern with a one-hour unpaid lunch (there is room for some flexibility with the hours, but these are primarily the required hours)
Location: Remote (must be located in the United States or Canada)
Deadline to apply: Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 11:00 pm Eastern
Note: Applications received after Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 11:00 pm Eastern will be considered if we are still searching for high quality candidates, and will likely be added to a waiting list.
Start Date: Thursday, March 1, 2018 at the very latest
The Art of Applying is a fast-growing education company founded by a woman Harvard MBA & MPA graduate that helps people from all over the world get admitted to their dream graduate schools with funding to pay for it.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, reliable, encouraging, outgoing graduate degree holder with excellent communication skills, outstanding essay and resume editing skills, and a love for storytelling, teaching and learning to join our 100% remote team (yes, you’d get to work from home!) as the first Full-Time Faculty Member for our Application Accelerator, a bootcamp for high-achieving high-potential applicants to Ivy League MBA, MPP, JD, M.Ed., MSW, Engineering, Data Science, and Design programs.
As the full-time instructor, you will serve as the primary coach and point person for a caseload of 5-10 new clients per month who are applying to their dream schools and scholarships. You will teach and reinforce the tested system and curriculum our founder has created, review submitted homework of your clients, hold online office hours, edit your clients' materials, and support your clients to success in getting into their dream schools with substantial scholarship funding.
Right now, our goal is to hire two outstanding full-time instructors and to add more instructors as needed.
How would you like to be with a company that helps people get into their dream graduate schools with funding that is at the very beginning of a significant growth phase?
A company that is willing and able to thoroughly train you, give you the curriculum to teach, and show you everything you need to know to succeed?
A company that is more concerned about your passion and potential than about your job history or your experience?
A company that has twice-yearly all expenses paid company retreats? Our last retreat was in Austin, Texas and included beating a difficult Escape Game, a dessert reception with some of our clients, touring the city, one-hour massages, and eating the world’s best BBQ. Yeehaw!
With hard work and a willingness to learn, you will have the opportunity to build your skills, contribute to an amazing mission, have fun with like-minded people, and do it all while working from home.
- Masters degree or PhD—the more prestigious the school the better
- experience teaching, coaching, and/or tutoring in a 1-on-1 and group environment
- excellent communication skills
- outstanding editing skills
- strong writing skills
- engaging, encouraging teaching style
- ability to keep client information strictly confidential
- comfortable with technology; willing to learn how to use Zoom, Basecamp, Helpscout, Gmail, Google Sheets, and Google Docs
- available to work 40 hours per week
Primary job duties:
- meet weekly with CEO to update her on client progress
- hold weekly office hours for 2-3 consecutive hours for clients to live edit client materials and have clients come and ask you questions about their application process
- hold monthly office hours for 2-3 consecutive hours for clients who have graduated from the bootcamp but still have lingering questions or concerns
- edit approximately 20k - 50k words of multiple drafts of essays, resumes, and other application content for each client you work with (editing happens over multiple months and is intense around MBA deadlines in August, November, and December).
- conduct 1-on-1 coaching calls with clients and keep notes on coaching calls
- conduct mock interviews with clients to help them prepare for admissions interviews
- answer client questions about their application process via the client portal system
- propose ideas to CEO on how to improve the experience for our clients
- propose, create, and teach additional modules for the bootcamp curriculum
- write blog posts about graduate admissions and highlighting client success stories
Who we aren’t looking for:
- people afraid of technology or who are proud to be “not computer savvy”
- people interested in a remote role so they can travel several months out of the year
- people who want to start their own business or build their own brand
- people looking to make quick cash on the side. We're building a long-term team as we scale, and want people who are interested in building a career here.