Fixed term opening: Senior Data Scientist
Headquarters: Remote GMT -6 to GMT +1
View all SumOfUs jobs →
Deadline to apply: Sunday, 29th April 2018, 11:59 EST (US). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are SumOfUs: a movement of 14.4 million people, brought together by a global team of 36 campaigners, technologists, media-fanatics, data-geeks, and strategists. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
As our Senior Data Scientist you will be for responsible deliverability, data quality, data analytics, and experimentation at SumOfUs. Supporting you will be a small team of data analysts and software developers, and our global team of digital campaigners. You can work remotely from any timezone ranging between GMT-6 hours to GMT+1 hour. For example, you could be located in Brazil, West Africa, Midwestern or Eastern United States, the UK, or Germany.
What you’ll do as part of our team
- Support the implementation of new organizational metrics for measuring important, but hard-to-quantify, outcomes, such as depth and quality of member engagement
- Share responsibility for deliverability, data and quality, data analytics, and experimentation at SumOfUs
- Work closely with our Product Director and campaigns leadership to ensure we provide members with an engaging experience by optimizing our campaigns, fundraising, petitions, and other action pages and member flows
- Work closely with campaigners to ensure they have easy access to the metrics they need to make strategic, data-driven decisions; develop MySQL and PostgreSQL queries, dashboards, spreadsheets, charts, etc. to provide this information in a clear and friendly format
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring
We have absolutely no formal education requirements – if you take on the role and are willing to grow with it, that’s all that matters. This role in particular requires someone who:
- Can conduct large-scale experiments or org-wide analysis and is able to find actionable intelligence and recommend ways that it can institutionalized;
- Has solid judgement about the best way to structure and measure a proposed analysis or experiment;
- Is able to work directly with staff and other stakeholders to design experiments and analysis plans;
- Has deep understanding of data technologies and how they fit together;
- Brings with them an excellent grasp of SQL and understanding of database optimization techniques: can writes sophisticated queries and knows how to optimize them for speed
- Experience with at least some elements of our stack: ActionKit, SendGrid, Redshift, FlyData, Mode Analytics, Optimizely, MixPanel, and Google Analytics;
- Has solid grasp of HTML and CSS; and
- Is able to program in one or more languages and can create and customize advanced visualizations. Writes basic helper applications in Python or another scripting language.
Other skills that would be nice to have
Here’s a list of other skills that you might have. We know that no one can possibly have all these skills - you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following:
- Experience with both MySQL and PostgreSQL;
- Basic grasp of the MoveOn/38 Degrees/GetUp model of online campaigning; or
- Proficiency in one or more of the following languages: French, German, or Spanish.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience and the country and city you live in. For a guide, this position will pay as follows:
- Atlanta: $67000 - $75000
- Chicago: $69000 - $77000
- London: £52000 - £57000
- Berlin: €50000 - €55000
- Lagos: $62000 - $70000
We also offer the following benefits:
- the ability to work from home or a co-working space,
- flexibility to set your own hours,
- five weeks vacation time per year
- potential to become a permanent employee
How to apply
We don’t find cover letters particularly helpful in seeing the way you might fit with this job. Instead, use the form below to upload your resume and a PDF document with your answers to the following questions in English:
- Tell us a compelling story of data you have analysed, preferably using the tools we have listed in the skills/experience section.
- Our campaigns team are interested in testing a lower volume email program. What are the first set of experiments you would run to see if the idea is worth pursuing before investing the effort into running large scale experiments?
- Take a look at our campaign page: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/tell-canada-to-prevent-corporate-control-of-the-internet. If you were asked design to a/b experiments on this page with the goal of increasing conversions, what 2-3 page elements would you recommend testing first, and why?
- Look at the “nice to have” skills listed above, and outline which ones you believe you bring, with a few words of explanation if that’s useful.