Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AKST (UTC -9)
, GMT (UTC +0)
, CET (UTC +1)
, EET (UTC +2)
, AST (UTC -4)
, FKST (UTC -3)
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Spark is looking for a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer to join our team based (mostly) out of Vancouver Canada.
Who is Spark
Spark is a real estate software company, leading the new development industry in digital sales, marketing and management solutions. We work with developers, project marketing firms and new development oriented brokerages in over 80 cities globally, making us the fastest growing technology platform in the industry.
At Spark, we value entrepreneurial, collaborative and supportive mindsets that contribute and foster a positive and exciting work environment to drive genuine impact in our industry. If you are passionate about design, product, problem solving and setting new standards, we would love to hear from you!
Who you are
An innovative, organized, self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills. You have a keen attention to detail, and are able to work under tight deadlines. You’ll be doing a lot of coding, contributing to a large interconnected application, and solving complex problems. You’ll be working with and mentoring a team of developers of varying experience levels.
A day in the life might look like
- Planning, architecting, refactoring, and optimizing web application products offered by Spark.
- Adding to and maintaining our automated test suite with RSpec.
- Maintaining the server/system infrastructure used by our applications (currently there is no separate DevOps team).
- Participating in team check-ins, and product planning & review meetings.
- Reviewing code changes made by others and recommending opportunities for improvement/refactoring of code for readability, security, and performance.
- Reviewing our applications to document, propose, and execute code refactors for functionality, security, and performance.
- Writing internal documentation as new functionality is released, or when new development processes are implemented.
- Mentoring and training other developers & new hires to bring them up to speed with our applications and development processes.
- From time to time, there is a need for out of office hours support for critical bugs, or infrastructure issues. It’s rare, but it can happen!
- Asking questions, lots of questions, it’s a complicated industry with complicated processes!
- Reviewing project planning designs & documentation and creating software release plans along with implementation milestones before development kicks off.
You may be a fit for this role if you have
- At least 10 years of professional experience as a software developer.
- Thorough knowledge of Ruby on Rails (5+ years of experience): The pitfalls of the framework, how to effectively organize code in a larger project, and how to write efficient and understandable code.
- Software architectural experience, with a strong understanding of how different web services and data stores can interact in a reliable, scalable fashion.
- Experience writing tests to ensure that software always works as designed.
- Experience with PostgreSQL & Redis, with knowledge of how to optimize for them.
- Experience working with production servers/systems, and the ability to debug and optimize them.
- Experience planning software releases, migrating large datasets, and minimizing risk.
- Ability to work productively in a remote team environment, learn new technologies and overcome obstacles as needed, then share the knowledge.
- Comfortable working on MacOS, Linux, or other Unix based systems.
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with these technologies: AWS (EC2, RDS, ELB, S3, CloudFront, Elasticache, IAM, ECS), Ansible, Docker, Katalon, Turbo & Stimulus.
- Experience applying OWASP ASVS or other standards is a bonus, and you’re concerned about privacy and security.
- Experience in Proptech, previously worked on software for the Real Estate space.
- Competitive salary & vacation policy.
- Health, dental, and vision benefits with a health spending account to extend what you can spend a year on basic and extended items.
- A wellness spending account to reimburse you for things that keep you active. Gym memberships, sports equipment, health related gadgets, etc.
- Option to work from home in combination with utilizing a spacious 5,500 sqft Yaletown office to drop-in or have a permanent desk.
- Join a team of unique, well rounded individuals of various backgrounds, all lending to Spark’s distinguished brand in the Proptech and real estate development industry.