In a world of beeps and clicks, Smile reminds us there is a human on the other side of every screen. We are a globally distributed 50+ person company with employees in Canada, the USA, South America, EMEA, and APAC. Our team has a strong emphasis on cross-cultural and timezone collaboration. We've been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" in Canada and look forward to expanding this on a global scale.
Our team is building the loyalty layer of the internet and currently already powers over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million shoppers. Above everything else we strive to make people happy —from the merchant to their consumer, to our own team (yes, our name really is fitting).
Who we are:
Human. The reason we do anything is to help another human succeed—whether they be on our team, one of our merchants, or one of our merchants' shoppers. We approach our work with open hearts and complete authenticity, always remembering how our actions impact the human on the other side of the screen.
Humble. We value our differences and leave egos at the door to find the solution that creates the most competitive advantage for our merchants, regardless of their source. We celebrate everyone’s wins as if they were our own and go out of our way to give others recognition.
Hungry. Our drive to help others keeps us committed to infinite learning and taking initiative when no one is watching. As a team, we welcome ambiguity as it is an opportunity to leave our mark and understand autonomy and accountability go hand in hand.
About the Team:
As Smile's first User Researcher on a small design team, you will get a unique opportunity to inform the design of products that are used by tens of thousands of businesses and millions of customers. You will work with experienced designers and product managers that understand, and deeply value, the work you will be doing. You will work alongside our data and merchant experience teams to help facilitate quantitative and qualitative research.
About the Role:
- Plan and execute varied studies such as interviews, session recording analysis, remote usability tests, surveys, A/B testing, and more.
- Communicate insights to stakeholders and champion a data-driven approach to design and prioritisation.
- Participate in, and eventually facilitate, workshops that help prioritise areas of research.
- Help product teams measure the impact of feature releases.
What you’ll help us achieve:
- Product teams will improve their data-driven approach to feature planning, development and release.
- With clearly defined areas of opportunity, our product designers will do the most impactful work possible.
- The organisation as a whole will better understand the role of user research and its importance.
Who you are:
- You have previous experience as a user researcher, preferably in a startup environment.
- You are very comfortable talking to users and willing to lead online workshops.
- You are a self-starter that can help define your role in an organisation.
- You are excited about working in a fully remote, distributed environment with team members from diverse backgrounds and time zones. This means embracing async forms of communication like video presentations.
- You will be willing to travel once or twice a year to meet up with your colleagues once it is safe to do so.
Bonus if you have:
- Ecommerce experience.
- Some sort of complementary design skills such as wireframing, interaction design or visual design.
- Technical experience relating to data analysis.
- Experience with modern user analytics tools such as VWO, Heap, Fullstory etc.
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.