In a world of beeps and clicks, Smile reminds us there is a human on the other side of every screen. We are a globally distributed 50+ person company with employees in Canada, the USA, South America, EMEA, and APAC. Our team has a strong emphasis on cross-cultural and timezone collaboration. We've been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" in Canada and look forward to expanding this on a global scale.
Our team is building the loyalty layer of the internet and currently already powers over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million shoppers. Above everything else, we strive to make people happy —from the merchant to their consumer to our own team (yes, our name really is fitting).
About the Team:
Our Data Guild focuses on building & maintaining our data systems for gathering, managing, querying, and dashboarding for our data Smile data from platforms like Shopify
. Using these data insights we build better products and help merchants succeed. If this sounds exciting, apply today!
About the Role:
As a Data Engineer, you'll be working with our Data Guild, and our Product Engineering squads to help with metrics gathering, dashboarding. We will also work to analyze and create insights that drive automation that power our business.
What You'll Do:
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain software for Smile.io
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and Engineering teams to build new features
- Analyze how your features are performing in production to learn and make the product better
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
Who you are:
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- Have built web experiences and systems at scale
- Enjoy and thrive in a remote-first, distributed work culture
- Are highly self-directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations
- Value clear written and verbal communication
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating and scaling
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You value products over projects
- You’re more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus If You Have:
- Ecommerce Industry Experience
- API Development Experience
- Experience with complex data structures and data architecture
- Experience with automated integration testing and test automation
- Security by Design, and Privacy by Design principles
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.