Senior Ruby Developer
Headquarters: Ghent, Belgium
Visit company website
View all Silverfin jobs
Senior Ruby DeveloperIf you’re any good at Ruby, the chance that you’re fiddling your thumbs at home, anxiously refreshing your inbox 20 times a minute hoping for a job offer, is rather slim. We know how it is.
Which is why we’ll try to sell ourselves to you here.
Ahum. Here it comes.
What makes the dev team at Silverfin special?First of all, we build a hell of a product and our customers love us. Even our customers’ customers love us. Silverfin solves a very real problem: it automates a large chunk of the repetitive tasks that people working in financial services spend their time on, and improves communication with their customers.
To give you a sense of scale: our database exceeds 3TB in size*, and our largest table recently crossed the 8 billion row mark. We interface with more than 30 different external APIs, and provide third parties an API of our own.
We’re a remote-first engineering team with offices in Ghent, London and Copenhagen which you can visit if you’d like. Still, most of us work remotely, even those who are local. We’re based all over Europe, and without Slack we’d be lonely, now we just zap in and out of the zone as we wish. Or not: we encourage judicious use of the DnD function, and recommend async communication over disturbing synchronous pings.
We’d be really happy to welcome you in our dev channel, but it’s not just virtual: we make sure we regularly get to see each other IRL too. Twice a year we fly the whole engineering team together to a different location in Europe, and at least once a year we join up with the rest of the company to not become too siloed.
What does working at Silverfin look like?We work in small, focused teams of around 5 people, each team taking ownership of a part of the application. When developing new features, the team is responsible for both the backend as well as the frontend part.
You’ll be supported by our crazy good UI designer who writes HTML and CSS components into a reusable UI-kit, and even builds Vue prototypes where necessary, handling compatibility problems with different browsers for you, and making sure everything is responsive too.
On the other side of the spectrum is our genius ops team who keeps things running smoothly, making sure deploys happen correctly, and will work with you when issues should arise.
Our stack is Vue.js and vanilla JS with a sprinkling of jQuery on the frontend and an up-to-date Rails monolith on the backend. We use PostgreSQL and Redis for persistence and caching, and everything is running on a Kubernetes cluster in Google Cloud. We use GitLab, Quip and Slack for everyday tasks and Zoom as our remote conferencing tool of choice. No code gets deployed without a thorough code-review by a peer, testing is a must, our sprints are called cycles and last 3 weeks, and sometimes we even finish everything that we committed to in time.
What are we looking for?We’re looking for somebody who’s really great at developing in Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- You need to be experienced in both Ruby and Rails, and also know where the boundaries lie between them. You need to be able to code in Ruby without any of Rails’ training wheels.
- You enjoy mentoring juniors and giving in-depth feedback during code reviews. While you appreciate the small stuff, you recognize bikeshedding and can avoid its pitfalls.
- You code with reason and can justify the important decisions you made during development.
- You know and apply best practices. That means the usual like version control, testing, and refactoring; but also good object oriented design, SRP, SOLID, ...
- You're aware of the trade-offs involved in proper engineering and can make balanced business decisions, keeping all stakeholders of the project in mind.
- You’ve got opinions on code design and you can defend them, but you’re professional enough to not let those opinions get in the way of a consensus if necessary.
- You have good knowledge and foresight of potential performance issues that might arise when working with large datasets.
What we offer
- Actual, proper work-life balance
- Become a part of a fully remote development team with over 20 engineers
- Free to choose your own schedule and work 100% remotely
- A stimulating work environment with passionate, friendly and inclusive colleagues who value diversity
- Team retreats twice a year
- A €1000 yearly budget to spend on conferences, courses, workshops or other expenses that will improve your skills
- You have at least 4 years of experience working with Ruby, or 2 years of experience with Ruby and 4 years in other languages.
- You grok Rails
- Your work hours overlap with EU business hours (we require your local timezone to be within CET +/- 3h)
Good to have
- Experience as a remote worker in a fully remote team
- Experience in Fintech
- Accounting knowledge
*: Our ops team noted that this actually isn’t that hard to achieve if you’re indexing all the things, but it still sounds impressive, right?
Please note that we are handling the recruitment of our next Ruby Developers internally and we are currently not open to use a recruitment agency or software solution agency to fulfil our need for developers. Thank you for respecting this.
Please ensure you meet geographic and skills requirements before applying.