In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations - and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you’ll help us achieve it:
We're looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead our backend team that is focused on the user onboarding experience. Engineering at Sendwave has stayed small throughout the company's growth and we've been able to keep things relatively loosely organized. We're getting ready to tackle more challenges more quickly- simultaneously launching multiple new markets and reinvesting in our user-facing product. To achieve this we need to think about the best way to carry users through all of the steps on account creation, support, and compliance that needs to happen when a user is signing up to move money across borders. You'll be responsible for both technical directions, hands-on coding, and mentorship of the engineers on the product team responsible for achieving this goal.
About the team:
- Engineering at Sendwave is split between 6 teams (Finance, Risk, Growth and Engagement, Delivery, Policy and Identity, and our Platform team). We’re about 30 engineers
- The team maintains workflows in our backend Python stack which consists of exposed APIs, 3rd party vendor integrations and plugins for Zendesk used by our support staff.
- Engineers at Sendwave work with Product to support all of our other teams including our Customer Service, Growth, Finance, and many more areas of the company.
- 2-4 years of experience leading a team of at least 3 high-performing individual contributors ideally while at an organization undergoing rapid user growth, a faster pace of product development, and increasing technical complexity.
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- We have a bias toward smaller (4 + manager), focused teams with leads that are hands-on. This means our Engineering managers still write code (hopefully) a majority of the time.
- Solid understanding of server tools and concepts (databases, performance testing in general but especially web). Familiarity with cloud infrastructure (e.g. GCP, Heroku, etc...)
- Demonstrated experience articulating longer-term technical vision and making tradeoffs on technical/architectural decisions vs delivering immediate user value.
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks/year
- Have been a part of a rapidly growing engineering organization and have experienced (and hopefully helped to solve!) the challenges that come with growth.
- Have experience building, working with, and supporting diverse teams
- Have Fintech experience.
- Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, or Senegal. We will consider contractors in countries not listed on a case-by-case basis.
- This is a permanent position
- Compensation: Worldwide: $156,000 - $172,000 | US: $196,000 - $216,000
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you:
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties
- Are passionate about achieving Wave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Our team of over 200 employees is fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.