Ruby on Rails Engineer
Remote (home-based) with occasional paid travel, £26-32,000 p/a
Safeguarding Monitor provide systems to schools and sports clubs to help keep children safe - the work we do really makes a difference. We build EdAware, for schools and multi-academy trusts, and Locker, which services global sports brands including Premier League football clubs. We’re now part of the Impero family, a market leader in online safety. We’re a remote UK-based team and are looking for a Ruby on Rails Engineer to join us.
We are first and foremost looking for developers who can demonstrate strong engineering principles, and wherever your development experience comes from, we may have a role for you. We can offer you the technical challenges, high standards and opportunity to make a difference to our products. We have an exciting roadmap ahead and you can be part of that journey as we transition from a startup to a global product offering. Our team is growing in a way that will allow you to play to your strengths: enjoy maintenance and optimisation, data analysis, or building huge new features? There’ll be a fit for you.
Our web platform is built exclusively in Ruby on Rails, and we’re working towards continuous delivery - we currently deploy something nearly every day of the week. We’ve also got a growing suite of mobile apps, built using the Ionic framework.
We do the majority of our work and daily communication through Slack, with regular conference calls, screen shares, and opportunities for pair programming. We run weekly sprints in a kanban fashion, but don’t get bogged down in the process. Our roadmap and in-flight boards are managed with Trello, and code is peer reviewed through GitHub. We’ve got decent code coverage, with a test suite written in RSpec and continuous integration to run these tests alongside code quality metrics.
We believe in creating careers, not jobs. During your time with us you’ll receive regular, honest, helpful feedback. We’ll be looking for ways to grow your expertise, and we will provide opportunities for your professional development. Although we’re a remote team, we speak every day, and have regular meetings both in the department and as a company.
- A strong standard of spoken and written English
- Enthusiasm for understanding technical ideas and explaining them clearly to other members of the team
- Experience and skills developing web applications with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL or another relational database
- Experience with using Git or Subversion
- An interest in test-driven development
- Comfortable using macOS as your day-to-day operating system, or happy to learn
- A willingness to provide technical support to the team, and occasionally customers
Other things that might be useful:
- Experience in writing specs with RSpec or Cucumber
- Experience working with and on Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience in server automation using Terraform or Puppet
- Experience using the Ionic framework or AngularJS
- Experience working remotely and in an agile environment
- Work remotely, with travel covered for training days and team building
- Essential hardware provided, including a laptop
- Full training, including safeguarding, health and safety and information security
- Staff Employee Assistance Program
- 28 days’ holiday pro-rata, including bank holidays
- Annual wage and benefits reviews
Our application process:
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us in a personalised covering email why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually starts with a short phone interview, and then for shortlisted candidates, either a video call or a visit to Impero's Nottingham offices. This consists of a face-to-face interview, practical exercise, and some time for you to meet and get to know the team.
Please, no recruiters or firms offering subcontracting. Candidates must be based in the UK.