Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AST (UTC -4)
, NST (UTC -3:30)
Who we are:
“Better commerce, by design.”
Pixel Union designs premium themes for Shopify. We’ve been in this space since day one, and our legacy is built on design. We are a remote team of 50+ across all departments, with flexible benefits and a focus on a healthy work life.
About the role:
An e-commerce theme presents an interesting design challenge. A good theme is customizable while upholding a creative vision, and fresh and exciting while being backed by best-practices.
As a Lead Product Designer, you will report to our Head of Development, and set the tone for how we build accessible, effective, and visually compelling themes. This role is a combination of team management, project leadership, and hands-on design work. You will:
- Manage a small team of designers, ensuring they are happy, engaged, and have opportunities to grow.
- Work directly with leads across the company to define our design process and creative vision.
- Build strong relationships across teams and with merchants to ensure our work is solving real problems.
- Shape design standards and patterns across our theme catalogue.
- Mentor fellow designers and other team members, helping grow their skills and design thinking.
- Create well crafted, modern UI elements and components that defy the status quo, using wireframes, high-fi mocks, and interactive prototypes as needed.
Please include a short cover letter with your application and portfolio. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
- The first interview is a quick call with our recruitment lead to chat about the position and your general experience.
- In the second interview you meet some of the team. We’ll ask for a portfolio walk-through and go through a few questions we ask all candidates.
- Finally, there is a “technical” interview where we ask you to tackle a short, real-world exercise, and then talk through it together on a call. The emphasis is on hearing your thought process over the work itself.
- Leadership background. This can come in many forms. We are looking for candidates who can build excitement around shared goals, hone how we work, and give meaningful mentorship that pushes our work beyond the status quo.
- Command of multiple aesthetics. We are prioritizing candidates who can show high-quality production work, with a focus on visual design. Digital design is a must, ideally web-specific that shows familiarity with browser constraints. Shopify, e-commerce, or theme related work is a plus.
- Design system thinking. Theme work is about creative integrity in the face of customizability. We are looking for candidates who can explain how their work adapts to different content and configurations using consistent underlying rules.
- User experience, experience. We’re a product company, and knowing our customers is important. User research and testing, prototyping, usability and accessibility insight, and a knack for how data fits into design is all very welcome.
- Aligned with our values. We believe that “better commerce, by design” happens when we:
- Win together—we work collaboratively, both with our teammates and external partners.
- Grow generously—we strive to do our best work, and always stop to support each other in doing the same.
- Be real—we celebrate our differences and are kind to one another.
If you don’t meet 100% of these qualifications you should still seriously consider applying!
Some of our perks include:
- 100% company-paid extended health coverage, dental - starting on day 1 of employment
- Group RRSP matching up to 4% of your salary
- Take time off - starting with:
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
- 7 PTO
- 2 paid volunteer days for a registered charity or nonprofit
- a paid winter holiday closure
- $2100 annually to spend your way:
- $1,000 health and wellness
- $600 home office
- $500 professional development
- Up to 12 paid professional counselling and/or coaching sessions
- Up to 90% paid parental leave top-up when on parental leave for up to 17 weeks
- Remote-first + flexible schedule