Come join the Gaia GPS team at Outside and help build the future of outdoor maps. In this role you will gather data and create cartographic styles for Gaia Topo and other Gaia GPS maps. You'll make sure Gaia GPS maps look awesome, are usable in the field, packed with the right data, and styled to account for many data layers merged together. You will work closely with a small team of cartographers, software engineers, and GIS engineers. We have extensive infrastructure based on open data, and regularly contribute to open source projects.
This job is 100% remote, and the company has been remote for 7+ years.
Projects this team has worked on recently:
- Country wide conflation of USFS road and trail data with OSM to produce a unified routable network
- World wide relief shading
- Producing a seamless map layers from historical USGS quads
- Producing a continuously updating world wide mosaic of Landsat and Sentinel satellite imagery
- Building a processing pipeline to convert NOAA HRRR smoke forecast into vector tiles
- Experience working with vector and raster GIS data
- 3+ years of overall experience
- Experience with cartographic design of small and large scale digital or paper map products
- Experience gathering data from land management agencies
- Familiarity with open source GIS platforms and tools such as QGIS, gdal, and ogr a plus
- B.S. in Computer Science or GIS or relevant work history
- Interested in Mapping or outdoor adventure
Why You’ll Love Working at Gaia GPS
- We are passionate about outdoor and active lifestyle participants and live the lifestyle ourselves
- We are a technological and data-driven business
- We are committed to active lifestyle participants and will provide them with the world’s most personalized content that inspires and motivates them by understanding them better than any platform in the world
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy and taking initiative
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- Gaia GPS has a software culture where marketing, support and management folks also code to improve apps and help with the product.
- You will be proud to say that you work for Outside, Inc./Gaia GPS and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day
- Work Visa Sponsorship is not available.
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary of between $75,000 to $100,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission . Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant’s location, market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors