We are seeking a talented Web/Conversion Designer to join our team! The ideal candidate is creative, strategic, and has experience working with clients in different industries. This role will report to our Director of Operations and work closely with Growth Marketers to solve problems, help hit our client’s goals, and influence growth. They will lead the overall creative process at the organization, defining integral processes and finding opportunities to level-up our team's design skills.
This role is right for you if:
- You care about the end-user's experience more than making a beautiful design
- You are principled in your design, utilizing proven strategies and techniques to connect a user with the intended action of the design
- You are motivated to help clients realize their goals
- You understand the role of good copywriting and how it affects design
- You are iterative and collaborative in your approach to design, improving designs based on feedback and user experience
- You care about the entire buyer's journey
- You are curious and have demonstrated commitment to continuously improving
In your role as a Web/Conversion Designer for Optimal, you will spend the majority of your time designing and improving web pages/sites for clients. Your department head will meet with you weekly to help prioritize design requests with you from the team and help to preserve your focus towards the most important tasks.
You will spend most of your days in deep work, checking in a couple times a day with team members and design stakeholders to share iterations and updates. You have ownership in how the work is completed and Optimal helps provide all of the tools and programs you need to be successful. The Growth Marketers you work with share questions and feedback on the designs, rooted in their understanding of the client's needs and goals. You consider feedback, but ultimately make the best decisions for the design and for the client based on your industry knowledge and expertise.
A few times a week you may be involved in an internal meeting regarding design strategy for a client. You may also join a meeting involving a client to help explain your design concepts.
When you aren't helping with websites and landing page designs, you're helping the team with graphic design requests and helping set the standard for design processes and thinking at Optimal. You also protect about 10% of your time each week for continuous education to stay on top of design trends and findings.
Website and landing page design
- Create visually stunning, conversion-focused, functional web and landing page designs that are able to be handed off to a developer for implementation
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the design meets and exceeds expectations
Conversion rate optimization & ongoing user experience updates
- Solve visual and interaction design problems by applying user-centered methods to overcome business, technology, and device constraints
- Work closely with strategists, engineers, and the rest of the team to design elegant, functional, well thought out and appealing digital commerce experiences
Lead and inform design strategy
- Lead the definition and implementation of design systems, principles, and strategy at Optimal
- Collaborate with and mentor Growth Marketers. Find opportunities to inform how design can enhance and support existing strategies and goals.
- Able to connect and communicate the role design has with supporting our client's quarterly and annual goals
Graphic design & creative assets
- Develop creative campaign assets and/or work with internal team to execute on the creation of necessary campaign creative.
Attend internal meetings and various client meetings
- Able to internally discuss design strategy and opportunities for improvement.
- Able to attend client meetings periodically to explain designs with client and Growth Marketer.
Strong soft skills
- Presentation and communication skills
- Project management
- Problem solving and critical thinking
- Accountable and responsible
- You feel aligned with our mission, values, and company culture
- Values ongoing continuous improvement. Able to stay up-to-date with UX/UI design trends and incorporate them into your work.
Design Skills & Experience
- 3-5 years (or more) of relevant digital & UX/UI design experience for both web & mobile devices
- Experience with E-Commerce design
- Experience with responsive design and designing with mobile-first in mind
- Experience designing for Wordpress and Shopify platforms
- Demonstrated understanding of modern visual and digital design principles
- Have experience creating and maintaining a design system
- Have proficiency in prototyping and design tools (Figma, Sketch, XD, Invision)
- Able to share online portfolio showcasing UX, UI and visual design examples
- (opt) Front-end development experience
- (opt) Experience in user research and user testing, and a data-informed perspective to design
- Able to attend in-office planning weeks in our Appleton, WI office 2x year* (TBD with COVID-19)
Benefits & Compensation
- Autonomy; you take ownership of how work is completed
- Flexible work hours
- Ability to work remote
- Paid continuous education opportunities
- Transparent and actionable role/growth opportunities
- Paid vacation days, promoting full-days off for work/life balance
- Paid holidays
- Extended leave policies - Maternity/Paternity/Medical
- Group health insurance for employees and families
- Short-term disability insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Group term life insurance
- Option for 401k contribution
- Monthly and quarterly coaching
- Annual raises
We want to understand who you are and how you think. To help us get to know you, please send a cover letter to share with us, along with your application.
Keep in mind that we do not equate length with substance, so please keep your cover letter to fewer than 1500 words. Stock cover letters won't do - tell us why you want this job, not just any job.
We can’t wait to hear from you!