MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economically populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2019, 2020, and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, and nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
To enable this work, we are hiring a passionate problem-solver who will take our technology platform to the next level. Do you have great ideas and the enthusiasm to build them? Join our team! Together, we will brainstorm, collaborate, design, build, and ship code that runs at massive scale.
About MoveOn Systems
MoveOn’s millions of members generate site traffic that would make most startups jealous. We have terabytes of data that drive ambitious analytics, fundraising, and engagement programs. At MoveOn, making decisions with data is a core part of how all work gets done. Like many nonprofit tech teams, we're a small, scrappy team, wear many hats, and work across the software stack.
While we often split up who is working on which projects, everyone on the team works on all parts of our systems. We have ~10 production systems—and two systems running at significant scale—getting thousands of requests a minute during spikes of member energy. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages.
) but believe good programmers don’t need to come in with an exact match of experience and can learn our systems and software stacks. We are deeply collaborative and spend lots of time pair-programming over Zoom video. We have a “no stupid questions” policy and encourage egoless collaboration. We build and maintain infrastructure that powers the organization and amplifies the work of the analytics and mobile teams. We’ve created software management processes based on Agile that let us work in a flexible, all-remote environment and empower us to embed with organizers and work on tight political deadlines.
- Write code and lead projects that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, front-end development, API development, high-performance back-end applications, database design, and system architecture.
- Create and contribute to open source projects that share MoveOn’s innovations back with the larger developer community.
- Contribute to software architecture discussions and decisions.
- Contribute to team discussions on building an equitable working environment
- Come up with ideas for new innovative distributed organizing applications.
- Learn, grow, and succeed in your career.
Required skills and experience:
- Fluent in at least one programming language and web development platform
- Interested in learning and diving into new languages, tools, frameworks.
- Determined and thorough- can see a project through from idea to prototyping, design, production, scaling and beyond.
- Curious, and a fearless learner and problem solver.
- Familiar with agile software development methodologies.
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely.
- Comfortable proactively reaching out to, thought partnering, and negotiating with stakeholders across the broader organization.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 401k plan with employer contribution, employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave, 10 days accrued paid sick time; and reimbursement of home office expenses.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.